Interesting - Yes!
39%
Dumbass - No!
15%
No Pants
46%

Total votes : 41

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:33 pm

Well bub not that I should even have to ask but you did use the only heffe yeast there is right the wyeast 3068. This sounds really interesting I usually just ferment cider with notingham but I might have to give this a try sometime.
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:32 pm

I don't know of any other Hefe yeast. All others are immitators.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:19 am

Generally when cider ( or mead for that matter) is throwing SO2 or H2S aromas you'll need to dose with about .5 to1 gram of nutrient per gallon of cider. The yeast are telling you that there is not enough YANC (Yeast Assimilable Nitrogen Content) and they are not happy about it.

Generally I use Fermaid-K or Fermaid 2133 if I'm past the 1/3 sugar break or DAP if I'm before the 1/3 sugar break.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Wherever you go ... there you are!
Oskaar

Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:11 pm

Update:
I have also tried my ciders, the one fermented with the fobidden fruit yeast is phenonmenal! I would highly recommend it. There are some banana-type smells, however nothing transfers through in the taste. As for the ass-smelling batch, I had to throw it out. I am totally sworn off of camden tabs, and I will stick with pasteurisation from now on.
Cheers,
Aa
soilpharm

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:05 am

bub wrote:OK so I just opened 1 bottle of each ( 1 hef and 1 regular cider)
The regular tastes like cider... the hef... tastes different... no noticable hef flavors in there but "something", it is good and I like it, it would be worth a try for some of yall douchebags out there.
BUB

Well, Bub in his generosity has shared his Hefecider with me. I drank it last night. Now, I'm not a big fan of ciders but I have to say, this was damn good. Bub, I did detect a slight Hefe flavor in it. The first thing I taste is the cider but the Hefe flavors come through in the finish. I think that's what I liked about it. The slight Hefe flavor was just enough to balance out the sweetness from the cider. It's the sweet flavor that turns me off to most ciders. Good job Bub, you got a keeper there.
My Homebrewing Website
I reject your reality and subsitute my own. - Adam Savage
valorian

Re: Cider Question

Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:13 pm

Hiya all, Wondering if anyone ended up making the applejack by freezing the hard cider. I'm about to make my first cider and if Im not happy with the result I might freeze it. Also, any consensus about using just straight cider compared to adding brown sugar or honey and making a cizer? Thanks Adam
Stem

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:47 am

My hefe cider was juice and 1 bag of brown sugar per 5 gal.
I couldn't have possibly fermented and froze some as that would be illegal (but tasty) and there is no evidence left :)
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Thanks Bub,
Did you let the cider run till finish or did you stop fermentation before full attenuation? What was your final gravity when using brown sugar as you would not get full attenuation? Where you happy with the cider (unfrozen :-) that is?)
Stem

Previous

Return to Mead & Cider