Re: Clearing Cider

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:33 pm

I use Bentonite with all my ciders. 2 tablespoons boiled in 2 cups of water, added to the secondary (yes, I do rack it, too), and then chilled for a few days. Works wonders. YMMV

TunaCan wrote:Hey all.
I've got a cider fermenting right now. Currently its very cloudy. Wondering if this will clear on its own, and if not, whats the best way to clear it? Filter? Will gelatin work on cider?
I'm using fresh pressed, uv pasteurized cider from an orchard, so it was cloudy to start with.
Thanks
Midnight0666

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Use the 1-2 punch! ( a positive charged and negative charged wine finings): Chitosan and Kiesolsol

Clear as brilliant glass in 48 hrs.

Homebrew shops sell them as "Super Kleer"
Corporal, BN Army
On Tap: Whatever IPA, Oat Stout, Cider, Citra-Mosaic Hopped Cider, Cherry Cider.
Aging: Black Currant Lambic, Oud Bruin, Eng B-wine, 65gal barrel of scabby 3rd runs w/Rosalare-Lacto Brux -we just call T.E.D.
BrewChoPs

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:07 am

BrewChoPs wrote:Use the 1-2 punch! ( a positive charged and negative charged wine finings): Chitosan and Kiesolsol

And I think this guys knows a couple things about cider.

I did my first cider and mead last fall, and time cleared it up nicely for me, after a couple transfers.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:31 am

TheDarkSide wrote:I did my first cider and mead last fall, and time cleared it up nicely for me, after a couple transfers.

Indeed, if you can be patient: time,cold, and racking will clear it up.
Corporal, BN Army
On Tap: Whatever IPA, Oat Stout, Cider, Citra-Mosaic Hopped Cider, Cherry Cider.
Aging: Black Currant Lambic, Oud Bruin, Eng B-wine, 65gal barrel of scabby 3rd runs w/Rosalare-Lacto Brux -we just call T.E.D.
BrewChoPs

Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:05 am

BrewChoPs wrote:Use the 1-2 punch! ( a positive charged and negative charged wine finings): Chitosan and Kiesolsol

Roger,

I assume when you use "Super Kleer" you would backsweeten first (I plan to use concentrate) otherwise it would just get cloudy again. Is that correct? So my steps would be stabilize, backsweeten, and super kleer then keg and carb.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 am

TheDarkSide wrote:

Roger,

I assume when you use "Super Kleer" you would backsweeten first (I plan to use concentrate) otherwise it would just get cloudy again. Is that correct? So my steps would be stabilize, backsweeten, and super kleer then keg and carb.

Yes, that would be the order I use as well (remember that backsweetening with juice or concentrate can bring additional pectins in). Again, you will get a more clear and brilliant product if a positive and negative charged clarifier are both used. It's a good idea to run fining trials before you chuck this stuff into your full batch.

Some additional quick notes on clarifiers taken from a professional hard cider class taught by Peter Mitchell:

Pectinase- This is more of a pressing aid than a clarifier that needs to be added to the mash when the apples are being ground, prior to pressing, and held at 30 °C for 15min to 2 hrs. Do not add at the same time with another enzyme or clarifier, as it will be absorbed or inactivated.

Bentonite (- charge) : attracts positive charged yeasts and proteins. The lees are fluffy and not as compact. Hazardous to breathe the dust it produces. This stuff is a booger to handle and use, but relatively cheap to buy. Low potential to over fine. Does not usually affect color or tannin, but can affect overall product quality.

Gelatin (+ charge) : attracts negative charged bacteria and polyphenols. Lees aren't as fluffy as bentonite. Can easily over fine. Will strip color and tannin. Less likely to affect overall quality compared to bentonite.

Chitin or "chitosan" (+ charge) : a good all around flocculating agent, very compact lees, good product quality, Does not remove color or flavor, more expensive than other finings, potential allergen from crustacean (made from ground crab shells)

Kieselsol (- charge) : a good flocculating agent if used with gelatin or chitin, medium priced, made from silica

Isinglass (+ charge) : very gentle fining, not very efficient, medium price point, potential allergen from fish (made from fish bladders)

NEXT STEP UP would be to use a wine filter

Principles of Good Fining-
~ mix the agent well (follow manufacturer guidelines)
~ allow to stand
~ add slowly to cider
~ mix well into the cider
~ allow to stand undisturbed
~ keep cool temperature constant
~ use a tall narrow diameter vessel
~ use a +/- joint agent combo

Cheers,
-R
Corporal, BN Army
BrewChoPs

Previous

Return to Mead & Cider