So I started this mead about two weeks ago.
I've been keeping a detailed log this time as to what i've done and how it's going.
It isn't a big mead. OG is only 1.066. I plan to keg this one and serve on tap with my beers.
I used 4 ounces of thinly sliced ginger which was boiled in a light honey solution for 15 minutes then it was strained and I added the liquid to my no boil must. The tea was 36 g in 3 L of water steeped at 180F for 3 minutes. I can't pick out either the tea or ginger in the taste I had tonight. My gravity is at 1.000.
I'm thinking now of adding a couple chunks of candied ginger to the secondary. Dry spicing I guess. It will be racked on day 14 so I'll decide then as I have 2 days to think about it.
I used 3 Kg of Cranberry varietal honey and 1 Kg of Clover honey for the must.
19.2 L batch size to start.
I'm going to do another batch now; 2 gallons of Semisweet Blackberry mead. Part of my yard was overtaken by wild Blackberry this summer so I don't want to waste them.