Booyah Recipe

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:45 pm

This is a Walloon/Flemish Belgian dish that is very popular in Wisconsin. When I rowed in college, it was served at a lot of the regattas we would attend in Wisconsin.

Defining what makes booyah booyah is tricky, controversial and fun. People will argue until the Holsteins come home about what the proper ingredients are. Be that as it may, I have some strong opinions about what gives it its distinctive flavor. Several things:

A variety of vegetables, with onions, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, beans and cabbage being necessary -- and peas, corn, etc. being the subject of great debate
Stewing chickens (not fryers)
Long, long, long, long, long simmering
Cooked outdoors
Cooked in vast quantities
Of all of the above, I'd say it's a mixture of veggies, the stewing chickens and the long cooking time that are absolutely essential when you're talking REAL booyah flavor. I've tasted smaller, indoor versions that were right-on. I've tasted some with beef, some with rice, some with a punch of lemon juice or Worchestershire sauce, some with skin and bones, some without, etc, etc, etc. I scoff at the white meat only, no fat versions and much prefer the smoky smell/flavor you get from outdoor cooking. Herbs? Not in most booyah recipes I know.

Of course, once you get the essentials down, you still need oyster crackers. Can't forget the oyster crackers.

Because it's typically made in 10 or 20-gallon batches, cooked outdoors over a wood fire, and worked on by several people at once, things can vary a bit from batch to batch.

Here's a recipe for an “small” amount.

It should cook for a long, long time, long enough for the veggies to get rather "mushy" and the meat to cook into shreds. That may sound like over-cooking, but that is the flavor and texture of real booyah...almost like a stew.

It makes about 3-4 gallons (yup, that's a "small" version!), enough for your guests to take some home with them, which is what my family always does. Good luck! And be sure to serve it with oyster crackers and some good Wisconsin beer.
Chicken Booyah Recipe
1 pound beef stew meat, in 1 piece
2 pounds onions, chopped
Bay leaves, salt and pepper
1 large stewing chicken (6 lbs), cut up
1 bunch celery, chopped
1 pound carrots, chopped
1 pound cabbage, shredded
1/2 pound green beans, chopped
1 can (28 ounces) chopped tomatoes (or use fresh, if you've got good ones)
1/2 pound corn kernels
1/2 pound green peas
2 pounds red potatoes, chopped
Juice of 2 lemons
1 or more tablespoons soy sauce
Additional salt and pepper to taste
2-4 bouillon cubes (optional)

Place beef in very large pot with some of the onion, a few bay leaves, and some salt and pepper. Add enough cold water to fill the pot 1/3 full. Bring to simmer, skim surface as needed and cook 1/2 hour. Add chicken parts, more water (to cover all the meat) and a little more salt. Continue to simmer 1-2 hours.

Meanwhile, prepare all the vegetables as described.

When meats are tender, lift them out of the broth. While meat is cooling, add the prepared vegetables, including the remaining onion. Add one type of vegetable at a time, bringing the broth back to a simmer after each addition (my brother-in-law says that if you add all the vegetables too fast, the broth tastes wrong...go figure).

Remove bones and skin from cooled chicken and beef. Chop the meats and add to the pots after all the veggies have been added. Simmer the soup at least two hours---longer preferred. Water may be added during the cooking process if necessary.

Season with lemon juice, soy sauce, beef bouillon (if desired) and salt and pepper to taste
Primary -
Secondary:
Kegged: Gangnam Style IIPA, Kentucky Breakfast Stout Clone, Oak Aged Robut Porter, Your mom
Upcoming Brew Schedule: Winter Warmer, Cider, APA

:bnarmy: PFC, BN Army :bnarmy:
noremorse1

Re: Booyah Recipe

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Damn Brotha, that looks good. I'm gonna have to make that one of these weekends. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, I gotta say, love the pot on the broom stick, that's pretty trick.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Re: Booyah Recipe

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:05 am

I have a batch cooking now and bomber of my strong golden chilling to go with it....

Thanks for the idea!!
The BN Army.......you can't have a revolution without soldiers!!!

Always try to be the person that your dog thinks you are!

CaribouBill -- BNArmy Ranger, Great White North Division
CaribouBill

Return to Great Food VigArously