Smoked salmon brine w/beer ?

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:12 pm

Salmon season is almost here for us in the PNW. Every 2yrs when the pink salmon run comes in, I catch more fish than I could ever use, but will keep one here and there to smoke up.

In the past, I've used a brine with apple juice, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. I'm contemplating subbing the brown sugar with some unfermented wort. Has anyone tried such a thing? I'm going to experiment either way, just curious if anyone has tried this on smoked fish yet and has any advice to give.

I'll be elbow deep in these fuckers in a few weeks :pop
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Re: Smoked salmon brine w/beer ?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:41 am

I'm way late on this, but i was searching for a new beer brine recipe for smoking fish this weekend. Sounds like I have the same recipe you have, and I substitute barleywine for wine and it turns out fine. However, I wanted to search out a brine other than this one that someone may have used with success. Looks like I will stick with this one for the time being.
barleypopmaker

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 am

i actually used a new recipe this year: 50% apple juice, 50% soy sauce. i don't think anything could ever be better than that brine. holy shit
Evan B

Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:21 am

Sounds good, but missing one thing. The beer! LOl. everything is better with beer.
barleypopmaker

Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:59 am

barleypopmaker wrote:Sounds good, but missing one thing. The beer! LOl. everything is better with beer.

i'm going to experiment next season with beer on this one. mayhaps i'll consult with our boy Sean Paxton
Evan B

Return to Great Food VigArously