Smoked Venison??

Sun May 17, 2009 6:15 pm

My neighbor just came home with a 240# buck and he wants to smoke some of the meat. I have a fairly large trailored offset smoker and am fairly good with Pork But and ribs, but I have never done a lean meat such as venison. He is wondering the size of the cut and any other feedback. I don;t want to make jerky, but was thinking 2"x2' strips as I am not sure a roast would smoke well because of the lack of fat. Maybe inject with some FabB? Anyone have anything to help us out?

Mahalo
808BREW
Sergeant BN Army, Pacific Division
808brew

Re: Smoked Venison??

Mon May 18, 2009 4:10 am

I haven't smoked any vension yet but it is on my 'to smoke' list. I was going to treat it like other lean meats I do. Get some thin slices of fat (pork, cow, ?) and lay a slice on top of each steak. I would also plan on smoking at higher than normal temps... say 300-350. Don't know if any of that seems interesting to you.
Sergeant - serving on the European front

http://smokingbottle.wordpress.com/

"As soon as I have to put on pants, it’s gonna cost you" - Merlin Mann
Caped Brewsader

Mon May 18, 2009 6:00 am

I've only ever had venison smoked as bologna, where it's ground and mixed with another fat and the spices, never as a whole cut of anything except as jerky
Nate Diggler

Mon May 18, 2009 6:29 am

that's gonna be a tough one to do well. i'm with nate, i've only had it as smoked summer sausage or kielbosa where they mix it with some pork. there is just absolutely no fat in there to help with smokin. Good Luck!
I'm enjoying my 6-pack....my 6-pack of Superbowl trophies!
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Mon May 18, 2009 6:56 am

I've been wondering about this too. I've got about 30# of ground venison mixed with about 20% beef fat. I'm going through it too slow to use it up before the next deer season so I have been thinking about making something along the lines of a smoked summer sausage. I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon May 18, 2009 9:28 am

My friend's BBQ restaurant does a smoked venison filet that's awesome. I'm fairly certain he cold smokes the meat and then pan sears it.
- Julian Shrago
Owner/Brewmaster
Beachwood BBQ & Brewing
Downtown Long Beach
SacoDeToro

Mon May 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is pretty much what I figured in that it is too lean to do much more than jerky with the exception of maybe a cold smoke and then finish on the grill. I see if I can get him to grind a bunch up for sausage as I have made quite a bit of the 1 1/4" links. Any suggestions on seasoning?
808BREW
Sergeant BN Army, Pacific Division
808brew

Tue May 19, 2009 3:54 am

Salt
Mustard Seed
Corriander Seed
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Mace

808brew wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is pretty much what I figured in that it is too lean to do much more than jerky with the exception of maybe a cold smoke and then finish on the grill. I see if I can get him to grind a bunch up for sausage as I have made quite a bit of the 1 1/4" links. Any suggestions on seasoning?
Nate Diggler

Next

Return to Great Food VigArously