Re: Mesquite beer recipe?

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:15 pm

For once I am glad to see someone resurrect an ancient thread. Thanks! I see this question asked every now and then and no one seems to have a clue.

Welcome to the forums! :drink

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Re:

Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:45 pm

BC wrote:There is actually a Mesquite smoked beer here in Dallas. It just won Specialty Beer (Gold) at Gabf. It Is at Humperdinks in Dallas. Drop the Brewmaster a line and see if he will give you any tips. OF cours I could go try it being it is only like 5 miles away from me. That and I can look out my back yard and see Mesquite TX.

First off welcome to the forum Mike!!

BC,

which Humperdinks won this one?
I think I've had about enough beer tonight...Now I need some Whiskey to sober up
oneal66

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:52 am

I am new to this forum also, but I felt like I might chime in anyway.

I have seen mesquite beans boiled into syrup......... I suspect it could be used in a beer. They say to use the beens when they start to become tan with red steaks in them. Split them and boil them with a tad bit of sugar.
"A man hath no better thing under the sun than to eat, drink and to be merry."- Ecclesiastes 8:15
brewerdlux

Re:

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:34 am

Mike Sheedy wrote:I'm in central Texas. Hill country.

Thank you all for the input. I'm talking about a small-scale, no experience, bathtub-gin type of operation. I used to drink a lot of beer (Shiner bock) but I've never made any. This idea occurred to me though, and I thought I'd seek out information.

Anyway, the mesquite beans have a high sugar content and a molasses taste, so I was thinking along those lines...use the beans in a fermentation process or something. Mesquite wood has a good reputation for smoking barbecue and such, but it's the beans I was considering using.

I'll read through the site as time permits and see what information I can pick up. Meanwhile, if any of you come across a mesquite beer recipe, please keep me in mind. I did a web search for mesquite beer and found only one mention:

http://www.thebackpacker.net/worldbeers ... dbeers.htm

Thanks again.

Mike

Where 'bouts? I'm in Fredericksburg.

I smoked some two row with mesquite wood and made a pale ale, but it didn't turn out very well. It tasted like band aids. I plan to rebrew later this fall.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Don't offended if you don't get an answer. Mr. Sheedy seems to have rode off into the sunset since this thread started in 2006. Come back Mike - we hardly knew ye!
BrewTa2
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Bumping the thread. I had an idea for a fall Texas beer, using mesquite syrup and prickly pear fruit. I've had a wheat beer that had the fruit added in secondary, and it was a vivid pink. And quite tasty. Anyone else had similar thoughts lately?
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Tue May 28, 2013 8:11 am

Yes in San Antonio TX a brewery called Ranger Creek has Mesquite beer. Only they smoke their grains.
curtiskacin

Tue May 28, 2013 10:29 am

curtiskacin wrote:Yes in San Antonio TX a brewery called Ranger Creek has Mesquite beer. Only they smoke their grains.

I've had it. It's good.
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to New Users