Greetings From Yorkshire, England

Thu May 29, 2014 6:30 am

Hello everyone,

I'm a keen 40-something homebrewer from Yorkshire, England and I've been brewing all grain for around 5 years now. Recently I've been listening to a lot of JZ's and JP's excellent podcasts after I stumbled on them a few months ago while researching for an upcomming brew. The podcasts naturally led me here I guess.
I love the podcasts btw.....funny and packed with great information; thank you :)

I use a 3 vessel, 40-50 litre system and brew mainly English and American style pale ales along with traditional English bitters.

There is quite a lot of commercial brewing close by. I live 5 miles from Tadcaster, whose name some of you may recognise.....Heineken (formerly John Smiths) and Coors (formerly Bass) both have a large facility in the town (producing large volume mass advertised brands), and there is also Samuel Smiths who are a lot smaller and do some very good, traditional bottled and cask ales.
There are also quite a lot of microbreweries in the area, one of whom is kind enough to supply me with malt and some of the hops I use.

I'm a big music and sports fan and have recently rediscovered a love for baseball as we get pretty decent coverage of the sport here in the UK these days.

Hope to see you all around the boards :aaron
markpotts

Re: Greetings From Yorkshire, England

Thu May 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Welcome!... :jnj
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Fri May 30, 2014 4:13 am

Welcome. So I'm guessing you have no problems with Jamil going off on one of his tirades about using grams for hop measurement instead of ounces :mrgreen:
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Sat May 31, 2014 1:17 pm

Cool! Good to have you here. What type of yeast do you prefer for your bitters?
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:41 am

Thanks for the welcome guys.
TheDarkSide....hahaha, no problem with that. It's quite funny to be honest; but I always find myself doing mental gymnastics when they start talking 'an ounce here' and 'half ounce there' :D

brewinhard. The yeast I use really depends on what I want in the final beer.
I'm quite into dry, bitter beers at the moment and for those I would use WLP007. I find this gives me a low final gravity and is quite clean although it still retains some English character. I also like to use dried US-05 in English styles.....I'm sure you guys will know that yeast well.
If I want something with a little more yeast character, then I would go with WYeast1469 (Timothy Taylor) or WLP005.
markpotts

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Ey up fella! As the name suggest I'm up t'road in Leeds! :-)
leedsbrew

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:04 am

I'm sure we've crossed paths at a couple of CBA events :D
markpotts

Return to New Users