Brewer from Norway

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi people!

My name is Nicolai, I'm a 25 year old computer science student from Bergen, Norway.

My home brewing career started in january 2013, and have done 27 batches (+3 on a larger system (70 l) with a couple of buddies) since that. Recently made the jump from BIAB to a 10 gallon Igloo mash tun doing 5 gallon batches and I just started using a freezer for fermentation chamber, so I got things going for me at the moment. The larger system we have is a three vessel HERMS setup made from stripped down water heaters, MLT and HLT is electrical, BK is propane fired.

Been listening to TBN for a couple of months now, been through all Brew Strong podcasts from the start in 2008 to 2010, and working my way throug the shows. I also listen to The Jamil Show, for every style I'm brewing I go through the style show to get it right.

Hope to make a beer tour in the states in the near future, go to a ton of brewery tours and meet you all BN'ers and other homebrewers! Actually, Garret Oliver is in Norway at the moment, so I'm going to a beer tasting with him tomorrow, really looking forward to that.

The beer scene in Norway has just exploded over the last years, the craft breweries now has a 2.5% of the beer market (which is a significant improvement over the last years) with a lot of new and exciting breweries starting up these days. Craft beers is expensive though, an IPA at a bar easily costs 15$ for a glass (0.4 liters), so that's one of the reasons I brew at home, to enjoy good beer.

Stay classy!
nicolaigj

Re: Brewer from Norway

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:55 am

Welcome!! You should try to plan for NHC next year in San Diego when you visit. You'll meet a bunch of brewers and BN people, and get some great beer in the process.

Let me know if you are coming to the New England region of the US...I will definitely have some suggestions for you.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Return to New Users