Hei Hei from Norway

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:02 am

Hey, I'm Tom Tørresdal, an American who moved to Norway to work in a Brewery. Been listening to the Show for a few months now and love it. Many many hours of cutting firewood in the forest spent listening t my favorite brewers and brew casters. The Brewery I work at is called Det Lille Bryggeriet, or the little Brewery, and I'm going to have an article in Draft Magazine's nove?Dec issue about my adventure of how I got here, which included a funny Norwegian Reality TV show, and the Brewing projects I've been working on.

Keep on Brewing
and if possible
BREW HARDER!
Light Rail Coyote

Re: Hei Hei from Norway

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:57 am

Welcome!
adamK

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Welcome Tom!
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi there!
j1m1

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Welcome
So, what's it like brewing in Norway? Can you get the ingredients you want? How responsive are the locals to new stuff? What styles are the big sellers? For some reason, I'd get the impression that light lagers and doppelbocks would be the big sellers up there.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Welcome!
Primary: Nada Damn Thing IPA
Secondary: ESB
Kegged: Jack Schittenweiss
BigNastyBrew

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:03 am

BDawg wrote:Welcome
So, what's it like brewing in Norway? Can you get the ingredients you want? How responsive are the locals to new stuff? What styles are the big sellers? For some reason, I'd get the impression that light lagers and doppelbocks would be the big sellers up there.

Pretty much right. A few big industrial lagers, that aren't too bad, and don't use adjuncts. But also lots of Norwegian Mikrobryggeri that brew lots of American stuff. People are getting into IPA and stuff like that pretty big. Its like the USA in the late 80's when craft brewing started taking off. The best Norwegian microbrewery is called Nogne ø, and they export to the USA. If you find a bottle give it a try, their brew is on par with all the good American stuff. The alcohol laws are a bit strict here though. No Beer over 4.7% in normal stores, to get stronger beer you much go to the Vinmonopolet, which is wine monopoly. Pretty funny name to an american haha, same as a liquor store. But there really is quite the growing beer culture here. Hombrewing is starting to take off also, has had a bit of a bad reputation, about half the people don't know its actually legal, and 3/4 of the people thing all homebrew tastes horrible. Its a normal thing to take my home-brewed beer to a party and everyone KNOWS it will be bad, trys it and says……WOW that the best beer I've ever had. Country has come a long way, but has a long way to go also.
Light Rail Coyote

Return to New Users