Re: Off flavor

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Totes.McGoats wrote:I do have Camden tablets, I use a 10" carbon filter I got from Morebeer that will strip it right? Or should I do both? I'm buying a PH meter and replacing all my tubing and brewing a batch next weekend to see if that helps. Thanks again I appreciate all the help! The more I learn about brewing I realize I haven't scratched the surface haha it's all trial and error and I love it!!!!!

I'll point you to a more comprehensive answer by A.J. deLange regarding the chloramines: http://morebeer.com/articles/removing_c ... from_water

I guess my immediate answer without knowing your water chemistry would be to make sure are adding the appropriate amount of KMS (this will be dictated by the chloramine levels noted in your Water Report) and make sure to give it enough time to work.

Like Bdawg mentioned in his post, you may find it easier to treat the entire amount of water for the brew day at once so you don't have to worry about making adjustments to ion and pH concentrations for different volumes of water at different temperatures. I adjust the pH of my entire water volume as my strike water is heating. Meanwhile I have 2 separate cups filled warm water and a specific ratio of Gypsum and/or Calcium Chloride; I prep these early in the brew day so I have time to ensure both Gypsum and the Calcium Chloride fully dissolve in the water prior to adding them. Once my mash starts I add my first mixture after adding the grains and I add my second cup to the kettle once I start transferring wort to the boil kettle.
Afterlab

Re: Off flavor

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:14 pm

Okay thanks I will read into it! I think I'm going to build my water from RO, there's a carwash down the street and the guy said he'd give me all the RO water I need for the nice price of some free home brews. Great idea for anyone with a carwash they use it for their spot free rinse.
Totes.McGoats

Previous

Return to New Users