Re: New to the Board

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:26 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
theobrew wrote:tub of water to increase the specific gravity

You might be thinking of specific heat here... not so much increasing it as getting a larger thermal mass (SH won't change for water).

The appley flavors may be acetaldehyde which may be an indication of a fermentation that was not allowed to complete properly for one reason or another.

You're right I was... and I did mean a larger thermal mass with the specific heat of water being high... I've been searching around the forums and I think I'll try the tub of water with some small frozen water bottles.

As to the acetaldehyde, The batches that I taste it in the most are a couple of batches that I let get away from me and they sat in the secondary fermentor for over a month after being in primary for 2 weeks. Also my FG was in range. So could I be producing these flavors from some other part of my process?
theobrew

Previous

Return to New Users