Streaming GABF Awards to TV (in a bar). Questions

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:05 am

I'd like to set up a TV in a local bar to stream the BN's GABF awards ceremony coverage.

I see that the link on the home page goes to a livestream.com page (http://new.livestream.com/thebrewingnetwork).

Livestream.com is having tech problems right now so I can't get much info, but I would like to plan for this event.

By searching Google and using cached links, it seems that livestream.com has a Roku channel. I found the channel and installed it on my Roku. If I search inside that channel for "brewing," "thebrewingnetwork," "gabf," or anything like that, there are no results.

My questions for anyone with knowledge of trying to stream this event in the past:

What is the best way to stream this thing to a TV? Should I expect the Roku channel to work on Saturday? Is there anything I need to sign up for or pay for in advance to use the Roku? Is there any other alternative to the livestream Roku channel?

I'm sure I can use a Chromecast and just mirror the browser window from a laptop. Any feedback on this? How bad will the audio be out of sync?

Apple TV can also mirror a laptop screen. Is this better than the Chromecast for this event?

What time is the event on Saturday? Is there any BN "pre game" chit-chat leading up to the event planned? If you can answer this, please include the time zone. BA's GABF site says ceremony is at 10:30. I assume that is mountain time. Does BN coverage begin before that?
jeffdrafttech

Re: Streaming GABF Awards to TV (in a bar). Questions

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:26 am

I can't say I have any direct experience with this exact issue, but I do run multiple monitor setups & stream to TV's daily.

If it were me, I would be streaming it on my laptop & using an HDMI cable to use the TV as a 2nd monitor. I would think the internet connection would be the biggest potential problem. If I had access, I'd tap straight into the router. The other hangup would be the video card. I'm running an Alienware laptop with an overclocked GPU & CPU. If all I had was a netbook/tablet/i5 laptop, I'd look into hooking up a tower with a decent GPU instead, still running the TV as an HDMI monitor.

Sorry I can't help with Roku or Chromecast.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Re: Streaming GABF Awards to TV (in a bar). Questions

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:25 pm

I think this might give an idea of when they'll be broadcasting in general:
http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/at-the-festival/education-presentations/brewers-studio/
though it doesn't show the awards ceremony.
It looks like that's at 10:30 AM on Saturday.
There are archived videos on livestream, so you could test with those.

Mike
Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

Return to Beer Radio