Re: Citra-Kern River Brewing

Wed May 02, 2012 5:42 am

I don't know. You are interested less in the AA from the citra and more in the other oils that contribute to flavor and aroma. I doubt that oils and AA degrade at the same rate, if you alter the recipe to compensate for one, you may over do it on the other. I'd probably brew it as is, your hops have been kept cold the whole time, it's not like they were sitting on a shelf for 3 years.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed May 02, 2012 8:13 am

spiderwrangler wrote:I don't know. You are interested less in the AA from the citra and more in the other oils that contribute to flavor and aroma. I doubt that oils and AA degrade at the same rate, if you alter the recipe to compensate for one, you may over do it on the other. I'd probably brew it as is, your hops have been kept cold the whole time, it's not like they were sitting on a shelf for 3 years.

Cool. I think I'll make sure I have some of each left so I can dry hop in the keg if I need to.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed May 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Dry hops are actually:

DryHop #1
33gr Citra
15gr Amarillo

DryHop #2
20gr citra

DryHop #3
26gr Amarillo

DryHop #4
31gr Citra

Kern Brewing confirmed 4 dry-hopped additions. That is what I'm planning.
HERMSystem

Thu May 24, 2012 7:02 pm

This is certainly one of the more ill informed CBI's. Between the misunderstanding of 3 or 4 dry hops (tis 4). Plus the timing of the 1st dryhop. Tasty said on day three of fermentation or there abouts. Head brewer said when fermentation is complete add a day. Plus........ is the dryhop being dumped or bagged after each addition? Thanks ahead of time for the clarification. Cheers, B-
yonkers65

Thu May 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Questions!

So the dry hop is 4 seperate additions.

The dryhop starts after fermentation is complete although Tasty said it starts prior to fermentation is complete.

Plus no mention of each dryhop being dumped/bagged and pulled.

I assume Kern dumps or bags after each dryhop or what would be the point if each dryhop muddles the previous addition.

Bueller Bueller?
yonkers65

Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 am

yonkers65 wrote:Plus no mention of each dryhop being dumped/bagged and pulled.

I assume Kern dumps or bags after each dryhop or what would be the point if each dryhop muddles the previous addition.

Bueller Bueller?

Probably no mention of it cause they don't do it. Seems like hauling a bag of dry hops out of a conical would be a bitch. Don't think of it as muddling previous additions as much as layering on top of each other. Dry hop character will change with how long it's in there, layering will give you 4 different characters combined.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am

I'm confused on the dry hopping lengths here. According to the podcast, each dry hop addition is after three days, so if you're keeping the first addition in during the entire dry hopping regime, it's in there for 9 days as you add the 4th charge. Then you keep the 4th charge in there for 3 days and then rack to keg? Longer?

The thought of approaching 14 days of dry hopping give me the heebie jeebies but if someone tried it with success I would give it a shot.
HoozierDaddy

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:20 am

I've dry hopped for 3+ weeks and gotten beautiful fruity aromas. No heebie jeebies necessary.
www.BJCPhero.com - Blogging my way through trying to win a homebrewing award in each of the 23 BJCP beer categories!
BJCP Hero

Previous

Return to Beer Radio