Raise a pint

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:17 am

I'm just going to copy/paste a post of my own from another forum in which I'm fairly active...

Sorry, I may be absent a bit for the next few days.

We lost a kid last night. Until the coroner's report comes out the best we can figure is that he swerved to miss an elk, bounced over a guard rail & went over an 80' cliff just below the Meadows (the village in which we work). He appeared to have survived the impact & started to crawl out of his Explorer. At that point it looks like he lost consciousness & a bear found the body before the police did. We really don't know at this point. And I'm a little drunk. That's all we have as of now.

His name was Jason. I think he was from Minnesota and roughly 23 years old. I knew him, but not all that well. Raise a pint if you have one, or else do whatever your beliefs suggest. We'd appreciate it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Re: Raise a pint

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:07 am

I'm stunned, and cannot begin to comprehend what you are going through.

You and your family have my deepest sympathies.
Kodos

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:18 am

I'm not sure how to respond....just know that we are all sorry to hear such terrible news and our deepest sympathies are with you and your family.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:38 am

I also don’t know what to say, any words seem inadequate with such a terrible loss. I wish you and your family well.
Bad Goat Brewing

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:22 pm

No words can express this.

God Bless you and your family.
:cry:
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:23 pm

It sucks. I didn't really know him very well at all, but some of the other guys did & are taking it pretty hard. No real info has surfaced about what exactly happened, just more speculation floating around. Coming down the mountain last night I saw the skid marks, but no blood trail from an elk or noticeable damage to the guard rail (to someone carefully driving past at 1am, anyways).

My best guess is that he hit the elk hard enough to flip him over the rail & took the carcass down with him. That probably attracted the bear since they're out in full force right now - we had one get in our walk-in last week & a few of us chased one off the back porch last night. He likely died from injuries from the impact & was gone before the bear came around.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:27 pm

And just to clarify, he wasn't family, although the community up there is like a big family. We work in a very small resort town with an extremely small population of year-round residents. The locals are a very tight-knit group.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Sorry to hear about the sad news Lee. Do your best to give support where you can. I will raise a goblet in honor tonight... :bnarmy:
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Off Topic Stuff