don't read.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Last friday my wife called me at work, around 11pm. She said the dog was bleeding from her mouth. Not surprising as Snickers a 15 year old sable german shepherd dog was not in good health. Snickers had stopped playing with her tennis ball and had also stopped chasing rabbits last year.
When I got home Snickers was on the floor, with her head down. My daughter was sitting next to her and petting her. When I saw her I almost cried, She was the best friend I had ever known and she was lying on the floor in need of help. It being a Friday night a 11:30, I knew our options were few. I called Purdue small animal clinic and they suggested I bring her in. I had to carry her to my wife's suv. When we arrived the nurses came out with a cart to bring her inside. I put her on the cart and held her as she was wheeled in. Two Vets took her in the back and told me that I could not go back with her. We filled out the paperwork and waited in the lobby for news. Once Snickers was checked one of the vets came out to talk to us. He said she was in bad shape, she was in shock and more than likely had cancer. This was what was causing the bleeding. The Vet said she needed to be stabilized and prepped for surgery. He said a price of what it would cost, I really don't remember the price. I told them that it might be better if we put her down. she was very old and had suffered enough. This was the hardest thing in 41 years I have ever had to say. The vet agreed this was probably the right thing to do. So they brought her into the room with us. She was still laying on the cart they had brought her in on. She had a catheter in her left leg. I didn't want my wife and daughter to see what was going to happen. The vet walked in with three syringes, and asked if I was ready.I forced my wife and daughter out of the room and told my daughter "I would be with Snickers until the end". After they left I told the Vet to continue. I never looked to see what he was doing. I rubbed Snickers ears and talked to her. She never looked away, she starred into my eyes. She wanted me to help her. Her eyes were so big. It was almost like she was looking into my soul. Then her head dropped.
I miss her so much, she always loved me and always wanted to be with me. She never judged me. I miss her.
larry78cj7

Re: don't read.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:27 am

I did this almost 1 year ago with my Max. Also the hardest thing I've ever done. I still miss him even though i know he was suffering and it was the right thing to do. Just try to remember all the good times you had with her.
"It's Ménage à trois. You and me and Heineken."

Sgt. ZZ; BN Army Air Corps

Let's Go Caps!
ZZ

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:17 am

My heart really goes out to you. My dad is a vet, and I essentially grew up in a veterinary clinic. I've assisted in procedures like the one you described more times than I can count, and it never gets any easier. Take solace in the fact that Snickers isn't hurting anymore. You made a difficult, yet ultimately merciful and loving decision.

Take care...
Be Excellent To Each Other...
Fierce Beard

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:38 am

Sorry for your loss, man.
I hope you can find some sort of solace and peace of mind. It'll get better with time. I have had to put a couple buddies down, but nothing so sudden.
snowcapt

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 am

Not to make light of your loss, but I think you're also a lock for "Sad Sack Dead Dog Story of the Week". If you call in drunk, Tasty and Justin will vote for you for DOTW.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:53 am

That's awful. I love my pets so much, but it sucks to fall in love with something who's natural lifespan is so short, it means you are almost guaranteed to see them die some day. Last year our wonderful cat got hit by a car on Valentines day. It wasn't a very good day. I was bawling as I was pouring shovelfuls of dirt over my cat's poor little face in the rain. She is in the backyard now, RIP.

I am still trying to come to terms with the fact that everything, and everyone dies at some point. The thought of not existing is really scary for me, and try as I might I can't make myself believe that there is anything beyond this (I hope there is though). Death is a part of the natural cycle of life though, so whether we go on afterwards, or just blink out of existence, that's just the way it's supposed to be.
Chupa LaHomebrew

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:08 am

I am deeply sorry for your loss. About 6 years ago I had a similar experience. I was 18 years old...barely a man. I had a yellow lab that had been my best friend for 13 years. Unfortunately due to a similar condition it was necessary to put my buddy down. Being fresh out of high school it was the hardest thing that I ever had to do. A toast to you and your best friend!
rlynge

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:23 pm

You clearly had Snickers best interest in the situation. Hardest thing to do for most of us, is to say goodbye, to a faithful buddy like that. You get extra credit points for hanging in there with Snickers to the end, and you were right for not putting your daughter thru that.

This is corny, but might be meaningful to you...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge...

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER...

:unicornrainbow:
Longer Strides and Better Beer!
lucybear999

Next

Return to Off Topic Stuff