Re: PEEVES

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 am

Wow, I was just discussing this with Facebook friends yesterday. Have a quote:

"Listen, friends, the word irregardless is not a word. It's a fake word that dumb people invented to sound smart because it has one more syllable than the actual word, which is regardless. Regardless and irregardless mean the same thing, except that irregardless doesn't mean anything, because it's a made up word like shtoopy or pergammonus."

After which, everyone pretty much said "pergammonus should be a word" since I had just made it up.

Sooooo...

"pergammonus: the quality of being fair, charitable, or just. (adjective) Usage: Frederick often volunteers at the soup kitchen in order to lead a more pergammonus lifestyle. Etymology: From the Greek kingdom Pergamon, a historical city noted for the charitable actions of it's rulers, the Attalid dynasty, including the remission of taxes, funding of the arts, and eventual bequeathing of the kingdom to the Roman Empire to prevent civil war after the death of last heir."

If you think of language as a fixed form of expression than you are thinking of it in old-fashioned terms. Words change meaning, new words get invented, words get co-opted to mean other things than what they originally did. I'll agree that I hate people using words in ways they weren't intended (such as the above mentioned "irregardless" as used by stupid asses trying to sound smart) but it's not blasphemous for a word to eventually -evolve- (I'm sorry, Spider) over time into something a little different. Maybe that's what the language just wants (I'M SORRY!).

Also, there is a difference between UK and US english, and that's why we don't usually use the Old English Dictionary. Because we don't spell color with a 'u', and we leave the 'h' in herb silent, among other reasons. If I, as a professional writer, were to use incorrect UK English in an article aimed at a US audience, my client might not accept my work. We have some different rules over here than they do there.
JakeAndBake

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:39 am

codewritinfool wrote:Bring vs. Take. I hear most people using "Bring" all of the time.

So I should "Bring a shit" instead of "take a shit" Got it. :D

When I saw the subject, I thought it was a Harry Potter thread ( Peeves the ghost )...Beevo knows what I'm taking about 8)
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:25 pm

JakeAndBake wrote: but it's not blasphemous for a word to eventually -evolve- (I'm sorry, Spider) over time into something a little different. Maybe that's what the language just wants (I'M SORRY!).

You fucking whore. :twisted:
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:16 am

No imbedded videos on the BN forum except for the moderators

That has to be my biggest BN pet peeve
Blowmax10

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:07 am

Blowmax10 wrote:No imbedded videos on the BN forum except for the moderators

After someone complained about it, I removed the embedded videos I had posted, so tell me where there are any and I'll yank them.
code
codewritinfool

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:23 am

Blowmax10 wrote:No imbedded videos on the BN forum except for the moderators

As hard as it is to get the forums to load without them when the forum is busy, I'm kinda glad there aren't any videos.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:56 am

Some of my peeves:
improper use of apostrophes (') 's makes something possessive vs plural.

Using the improper verb tense. eg. I hear things like " this fridge needs cleaned" or "that part needs deburred" when it really should be "this fridge needs to be cleaned" or "this fridge needs cleaning". you get my point.

Vise vs vice
Don Blake
BJCP Grand Master Judge

Fermenting: WitBier
on tap: Cal Common, Funky yeast experiments
dontblake

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:07 am

dontblake wrote:....
Vise vs vice

Thats easy, vice is what busted me last night, and vise is what I am going to squeeze your head in!
CRBrewHound

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Stuff