Re: I'd like to try scotch...

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:28 am

I have to toss out a vote for Glen Morangie as well. I don't know if they still make the Port Wood Finish, but that was uber-good. Their 18 y/o was smother than silk and was very drinkable.. and expensive...

Dalwhinnie is a close second. It's a little rough around the edges, but still an overall great scotch. There was an Islay scotch I tried awhile back that was OMG seaweed and peat, but it was really good.

I drink all my whiskeys neat... scotch or Tullamore Dew.
Three words to describe me: brew, blues and blood.
brewmcq

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Ireland makes some great whiskeys. Try Bushmills Black Bush. Jameson makes some great whiskeys as well.
Ironman

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:18 pm

IF you go back to the first Muffasa show towards the end they talk about Scotch and they recommend some beginner ones.
baldgaydolphin

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:29 am

When anyone is new to the scotch game, I usually recommend Glenlivet 12. I'm glad to see that it was the OP's opening scotch.

Good price point, smooth easy drinker. I don't envy anyone that had a heavily smoked peated scotch as their introduction.

One you start down the scotch road, you'll find yourself getting there though.
Busted Sandal Brewing Company, San Antonio's newest brewery is opening soon. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter for updates.
NotoriousHOP

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:04 pm

I see most people went straight to single malt recommendations. Don't ignore blended scotch completely...there are some incredible examples you don't want to miss out on.

Take Johnny Walker for example...Red label is just ok for mixed drinks, I guess, but I wouldn't recommend it straight up. Black label is a decent entry level sipper, although I prefer to go straight to the Green if given the choice. Gold would be for a special occasion...it's really good. Blue is incredible, but at $200 or so a bottle, it better be.

I guess you just need to find your own personal preference as far as how to drink it. I prefer mine straight up, with small, slow sips. The take a sip of water whistle trick does make it that much more enjoyable, but I just feel ridiculous doing it. I tried the cold/frozen stone cubes, but I think it loses complexity when chilled.
Corporal, BN ARMY

If you're not a part of the solution, your'e a part of the precipitate.
Duzdisluk Infektid

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Macallan 12 is always in our cabinet, and is another one you should try when you get a chance. The Macallan 10 is also very good, less expensive, just not quite so refined.

Middleton, which is a blended Irish whisky (minimum 21 years old, made by Jameson) is the best whisky drinking experience I have ever had. But I've also never had the Macallan 18.
skibikejunkie

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:20 am

if you can spend the cash, Johnny Walker Blue is quite nice. I had a bottle for special occasions, until me & my FIL emptied it in 2 days. my last bottle was Glen Morangie. I'll be getting another.
I killed a zombie and ate it's brains. That's how I became the Zombie King.
Billy Klubb

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 am

+1 on Balviene, Macallen, and Glenlivet. If you are starting out don't be afraid to add water. It really opens up the flavors and aromas and tones down the alcohol. If you take a small swipe around the neck of the bottle after pouring with your finger and then rub that on your hand and hands together a couple of time you should get a very pleasant aroma on a good scotch. Try to get to some tastings and sample from the different regions!

Not that it is part of the question but my vote for bourbon is Knob Creek.
maltseeker

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Stuff