spilled LME issue

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:04 am

Hello
Over the years I thought I've seen it all as far as mishaps and then this happens.

I am making the Pliny extract kit. Just before adding my 9lbs of LME at 60 minutes I spilled about 3 cups of it on my worktable, and without even thinking I completed my additions and after I fired the kettle back up, I just scraped the spilled LME into the kettle from the table into the kettle. I hadn't even thought about how clean or dirty the table was.
I use a foldable plastic 6ft work table and it jus sits in my dirty garage, and I didn't wash it before I started brewing. there was no visible dirt but it surely wasn't clean as it leans on it's side against the dirty floor most of the time. I crossed my fingers and finished the batch.
I also noticed some oils on top of the finished wort after chilling (could this be from the fresh hops?).

Should I take a chance and attempt to consume this batch or should I just pitch, it and consider it a lesson?

What would you do?

Bill
I'm alive and well. Where am I?
big7ben

Re: spilled LME issue

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:19 am

Well, the boil will kill just about all the microbes, so I'd just go with it and call it Spill-iney or something stupid like that.
However, you are destined for an infected batch if you continue to brew without cleaning your brewing area.
I have a portable folding table which is cleaned and even star-san'd before I would consider laying my brewing ingredients/tools on it during a brew session. I suggest you consider doing the same, or you WILL be dumping batches at some point.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu May 01, 2014 10:46 am

Since you were on the hot side I bet you will be ok.

Like BDawg said though make sure to clean your brewing area every now and then. Before I moved into my current apartment I had a folding plastic table I used and I cleaned it before and after each brewing session.

My process now is a little more hectic but it's a space issue with my apartment however I make it work. A spray bottle of star san is great!!!
forcera

Thu May 08, 2014 3:24 am

Thanks for the help.
I'm alive and well. Where am I?
big7ben

Return to General Beer Related