Re: Secret Santa 2014!

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:10 pm

vorlauf wrote:Thanks breslinp for the safely shipped beers! The home brewed Celebration and Imperial Stout were some of the best beers I remember drinking. Saving the 9%+ abv Golden Strong and Old Ale for March when I visit my Dad.

Cheers and keep on brewing awesome beer.

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed. :jnj
breslinp

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:29 pm

Drinking my last Secret Santa beer this snowy day in the mid-Atlantic. A quick shout out to EagleDude for brewing some tasty beers.

The blonde was super crushable. Very clean fermentation. I liked the single use of Amarillo which gave it a simple orange/tangerine note. Nice choice for a session beer.

I drank the porter thinking it was my 3 year old Quad :oops: I figured it out a couple days later. It made a lot more sense as I did not understand what happened to the body in my Quad. I remember it went down easy and my friend gave me compliments on it :P

I just finished up with the Flanders. The only other Flanders I've had was Monk's . I enjoyed this one much better. The acetic acid was much more subdued and balanced in your beer. It had a more pronounced malt presence and I got subtle notes of chocolate. I would def drink another one. The fact that you have a 60 gallon barrel going is quite impressive. Keep up the good work.

Image Image

Cheers.
breslinp

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:15 am

EagleDude wrote:Too funny!!! Back in college bottling days, I used to always mark a few bottle caps with a skull and crossbones. Then whenever some douche I didn't know well came over to drink my beer, I would pass out beers to friends I liked with unmarked caps and give "that person" one with the marked cap. Worked every time ... beer would be hardly drank and the person would never come back.

So what was different about those bottles? Sounds like you poisoned them and they are now dead.

When I was in 7th grade playing baseball, the older guys on the team would drink my water while I was in the field. I got tired of that, so I filled hit half with water, froze it then topped it off with vinegar.

First guy took a swig, threw it down on the ground and he was spitting and gagging... 2nd guy said "Don't waste good water!", picked it up and got dosed too. About the best I could ask for. 8)
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:35 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
EagleDude wrote:Too funny!!! Back in college bottling days, I used to always mark a few bottle caps with a skull and crossbones. Then whenever some douche I didn't know well came over to drink my beer, I would pass out beers to friends I liked with unmarked caps and give "that person" one with the marked cap. Worked every time ... beer would be hardly drank and the person would never come back.

So what was different about those bottles? Sounds like you poisoned them and they are now dead.

When I was in 7th grade playing baseball, the older guys on the team would drink my water while I was in the field. I got tired of that, so I filled hit half with water, froze it then topped it off with vinegar.

First guy took a swig, threw it down on the ground and he was spitting and gagging... 2nd guy said "Don't waste good water!", picked it up and got dosed too. About the best I could ask for. 8)

Ha! I love it! Revenge can be so subtly sweet...
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Super excited to come home from work to a nondescript box on my porch from theDarkSide!! I'm enjoying your common cider as I type this and wish I could make a sessionable cider like this. I am currently the proud owner of a 5 gallon keg of a sulfur bomb cider from my first go round with it this past fall... It has been segregated to outside the kegerator until I get desperate enough to drink it or pissed off enough to dump it... Thanks again!
Nasty Nate

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Sulphury cider in your outside kegerator? is the cider kegged or bottled?

If kegged, swap your gas-in line onto a beer-out connector, and hook it up so the gas flows in through the beer out connector and down the dip tube.
Turn on the Co2. Pull the pressure release valve and alternately add gas and release pressure. Keep smelling it.
Do this for a while, and eventually you will have a nice, sulphur-free cider to enjoy.
(Don't forget to hook them back up the right way)

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:34 pm

BDawg wrote:Sulphury cider in your outside kegerator? is the cider kegged or bottled?

If kegged, swap your gas-in line onto a beer-out connector, and hook it up so the gas flows in through the beer out connector and down the dip tube.
Turn on the Co2. Pull the pressure release valve and alternately add gas and release pressure. Keep smelling it.
Do this for a while, and eventually you will have a nice, sulphur-free cider to enjoy.
(Don't forget to hook them back up the right way)

HTH-

Cool, I'll try that. I've been pressuring the normal way and venting but not getting much for results.
Nasty Nate

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Hooked up normal, you're just venting and pressurizing and venting the headspace and not affecting the liquid contents.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Beer Related