Some people just can't be converted

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:49 pm

So, my wife, kid, and I went to my aunt's house last night. My cousin, her kids, and husband were there. So I decided to take two bombers to let them try my beer. One was a pale ale and the other a blonde. My cousin's husband tried it and didn't say much. He then grabbed a Coors Light out of the fridge. My aunt's husband said, "I only like Coors Original" then he poured some blonde in a glass and put salt in it....... I walked away. He said he didn't like it and it should be more like Coors Original. I don't think I will bother with trying to convince them. Salt!?!? Really!?!?
humpadilo

Re: Some people just can't be converted

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:22 pm

That's called Gose you pedestrian. Their level of beernerditude far exceeds your comprehension.

My only guess about why they can't be converted is because they actually hate beer. I've gotten a few non-beer drinkers on the craft wagon but I think the hardcore BMC drinkers are the most stubborn because the taste of beer is offensive to them.
Bobbie Dooley

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:07 am

The salt is an old timer's "trick". Since it's homebrew & probably rather harsh :roll: someone figured out that by adding a pinch of salt occasionally helped. Remember homebrew was rarely good not all that many years ago.

What they didn't figure out is why the salt helped... which wasn't all that often, or they fooled themselves into thinking that it did. That harsh flavor could be from any number of things, most likely hot/uncontrolled fermentation, but maybe hops, water chem, etc. What the salt does is drop the sulphate/chloride ratio & make the water flavor profile a little rounder/less sharp.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:02 am

Salting beer isn't a response to homebrew necessarily, but something that old men sometimes do if they are in the habit. Is your uncle older than 75?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:00 am

I've been converting coworkers by the dozen, even the ladies are digging homebrew, stouts and hoppy pales and junk.

But yea some folks just can't be converted.
Fermenting: Black IPA, Barley Wine, Cider and Imperial Stout

Current man crush: Warren

Previous man crushes: Nathan, Tasty, JP and Justin

Future man crush: Maybe Jamil or Doc

:bnarmy: SGT ScottyB-Brewing :bnarmy:
ScottyB-Brewing

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:51 pm

My father and his friends in the Vietnam war were in the habit of salting beer due to the poor beer in that country. They stated there was Formaldehyde in the beer, in which salt would reduce that flavor. Do not know if that is true or not.

A quick web search shows that China may indeed use it in beer as a clarifying agent.........
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:12 am

He is not to old, maybe 55ish. He definately wasn't in the military. I just think he doesn't know what's good. He once threw a fit at a restaurant because they had Coor's Light and not Original.
humpadilo

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:25 am

I have a buddy who puts salt and tapatio hot sauce in beer.
maxam

Next

Return to General Beer Related