Preparing for BJCP

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Hey BNA,

I'm thinking of becoming a certified BJCP judge. I'm concerned though because I best learn by interactive listening. I best remember material by someone telling me the information and being able to ask questions every once in awhile. If I try to read a book or learn on my own I don't retain anything.

I was wondering if anyone did the BJCP Series from BetterBeerScores.com. I remember them talking about this in one of The Session shows maybe a couple months ago(?). It sounds like they do live Webinars that might suit my style of learning. Has anyone taken a course from these guys? If so let me know what you thought and if it was worth the $180. I'm looking to register for their course starting March 5th so I want to register really soon because I don't think I'll have time in the summer. Maybe Bdawg knows something or can recommend something else. He seems to be the more active judge in these parts.
"We came here to drink some beer. Now are you going to let us do that or are you afraid of getting your asses stomped?" -Landfill
Archie

Re: Preparing for BJCP

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Do you have a local club that can offer an in-person class? That might be the other way to go. I have no experience, but haven't heard any bad things about the webinar (other than its price).
siwelwerd

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Nothing against the Better Beer Scores class, but I'd go with an in-person class first.
I would start out by contacting Dan Preston. He's administering an exam in Boston in May.
He can most likely point you to a class in the area. Even if you can't get on his primary list for the exam, you can take the class now and try to get on Dave Houseman's list for the NHC exam in Philly in June (or another one - the trick is to find one early and get on the list early. The seats run out FAST).

You can find the list of all scheduled exams (with administrator contact info) here:
http://www.bjcp.org/exams.php

Good luck and HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 pm

On a similar note... I'm looking to take the test in a year or so. What are some good things that I can be doing to help me prepare for it? Any and all suggestions welcome!
theobrew

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:56 pm

theobrew wrote:What are some good things that I can be doing to help me prepare for it? Any and all suggestions welcome!

One of the best things I did was to find a drinking buddy who was also interested in becoming a judge. Whenever we'd have a pint, we'd take 5 minutes and analyze the beer we were drinking. You can do this by yourself, but when learning it helps to compare notes with someone else. Make friends with the BJCP judges in your local club. Sit next to them at your club meetings and discuss what you are tasting with them. Ask them questions--don't be shy. Try and convince one of them to organize a formal class before the exam. Start judging competitions now--the organizer will pair you with an experienced judge (hopefully two) who will help teach you the ropes.
siwelwerd

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Check out the WAHA site for judging info:

http://www.wahomebrewers.org/learn/bjcp ... ct-10-exam
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Good suggestions and sweet resource BDawg! Thanks!
theobrew

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:15 am

Just hire a hooker and have her read to you. :pop
CRBrewHound

Next

Return to General Beer Related