Brewing a Dawson's Kriek lambic kit

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:12 am

Hey guys been on the forums for a long time, first post. I decided I wanted to try a Dawson's Kriek lambic kit. I've seen a lot of good reviews but a lot of different ways to brew it. It seems like some people follow the directions given and others don't. My question was, do I need to rack into a secondary after two weeks? The directions say to add the puree and rack on top of that. I was wondering if after two weeks if I could just add the puree to the primary and let it just sit 9-12 months. Also if I'm using a 6.5 gallon carboy do I need a blow off hose for this. I just mopped my ceiling from an imperial and don't want these beasties getting everywhere. Thanks peeps.
schweitzer22

Re: Brewing a Dawson's Kriek lambic kit

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:13 pm

What yeast/blend does it come with? If you add the puree directly to the primary after a few weeks the saccharomyces in the yeast blend could completely ferment out the added fruit sugars not allowing the brett and bacteria to have a turn. This is a case where you want the wild ones to do their work on any remaining sugars to increase the sourness/acidity/funk in the beer.

I would proabably let the beer sit in primary for about 3-4 weeks, then rack the beer on top of the puree into a carboy. At this point, I would also add some boiled/cooled maltodextrin (sacch. yeast cannot consume this sugar) to the secondary as well which will give the bugs/brett some extra residual fermentables plus the puree to work on and sour your beer. Good luck and most of all, be patient with this style of beer.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to General Beer Related