Alcoholic feline

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:44 am

My fiancée and I have a cat who loves, among other things, beer. When I get a beer from my dual-faucet kegerator, he knows the pssst sound when I open the faucet. Wherever he is in the house, he sprints to the kegerator, jumps on it, and licks the faucet after I'm done pouring. If he's lucky enough to get there in time, he licks the beer as it's dispensing. Up until now, I've just found it comical and a part of me is proud of the little fella.

Yesterday, however, he was running around freaking out about who knows what. He jumped up on the kegerator (I hadn't drank from it in a number of days), stood on his hind legs, and PUSHED THE FAUCET OPEN. Luckily I only have 1 keg on tap and he opened the empty faucet, but this is a terrifying thought. I could potentially come home and have 10 gallons of beer covering my floor if this alcoholic feline does such a thing again.

Thoughts on what I can do to prevent this menace from creating a disaster?
Me: I'm gonna drink a Boon Geuze.
SWMBO: You're a booze goon.
PhillyBrewer

Re: Alcoholic feline

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:53 am

get yourself a faucet lock.
my name is Richard Edward, just call me Dick Ed.
speed

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:55 am

I'm aware of that product and there's no way I'm spending $90 on two. I'm thinking there is some sort of strap I can wrap around the tower (or cat's neck; whichever is quicker).
PhillyBrewer

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:56 am

PhillyBrewer wrote:My fiancée and I have a cat who loves, among other things, beer. When I get a beer from my dual-faucet kegerator, he knows the pssst sound when I open the faucet. Wherever he is in the house, he sprints to the kegerator, jumps on it, and licks the faucet after I'm done pouring. If he's lucky enough to get there in time, he licks the beer as it's dispensing. Up until now, I've just found it comical and a part of me is proud of the little fella.

Yesterday, however, he was running around freaking out about who knows what. He jumped up on the kegerator (I hadn't drank from it in a number of days), stood on his hind legs, and PUSHED THE FAUCET OPEN. Luckily I only have 1 keg on tap and he opened the empty faucet, but this is a terrifying thought. I could potentially come home and have 10 gallons of beer covering my floor if this alcoholic feline does such a thing again.

Thoughts on what I can do to prevent this menace from creating a disaster?

I have cats and I have teens. So far I have my teens under control and don't worry about them, but now do I have to worry about my cats? :o You could always get a set of these http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=17B03-120&Category_Code=BEFF

Just don't let the cat see where you hide the keys!!
dshepard

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:56 am

maybe just unscrew the handle when you are gone.
my name is Richard Edward, just call me Dick Ed.
speed

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:05 am

Yeah, that is going to be my stop-gap measure.
PhillyBrewer

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 am

Brew something pretty low gravity and inexpensive (say a blonde ale with dry yeast). Always have that on draft on the same faucet. Get a light bungee cord and attach so the faucet handle will not stay in open position. Teach your cat that THIS is its beer and it shall not touch the other handles. Eventually your cat will learn that to quench its thirst it may only drink out of that faucet and that all others are forbidden. Problem solved.
PFC BN Army - 43rd Battalion Mashing Squadron
beltbuckle

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:21 am

While that is a little more involved that other options, I agree it's a necessity to establish a chain of command. Thanks!
PhillyBrewer

Next

Return to General Beer Related