Boycott Magic Hat Brewing Company...

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:10 pm

So I thought that it was just big energy drink companies that were jerks, and went around telling people what they could name their beers... I was wrong. A letter went out today from Georgetown Brewing Company in Seattle, to their regular customers, informing us that they will no longer be marketing their fantastic porter under the name 9 LB Porter. The original name of the beer, and the logo, come from the fact that it was brewed for a bar just down the street from the brewery, the 9# Hammer.

I do not work for Georgetown, nor do I have any connection to the brewery, other than the fact that I love this beer. I just think that this is a jerk move on the part of Alan Newman and Magic Hat, and I think that people should know about how others run their businesses, and think about who they chose to spend their money with.

For those of you facebookers who want to show support for Georgetown, you can like to my Magic Hat Sucks group below.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 834&ref=mf
Last edited by rabidgerbil on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabidgerbil

Re: Boycott Magic Hat Brewing Company...

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:15 pm

This is a bit different than the monster issue. Both companies are producing beer and they're both called #9?

Sorry, but Magic Hat has every right to defend their rights to the name. If they don't defend these rights, they'll lose them and then anyone can call their beer #9.

Don't you worry though. I've never spent one cent on a Magic Hat beer and seeing that I'm not going to be traveling to anywhere where it might be sold, I won't be buying anything from them.
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:21 pm

I gotta agree. Two beers called #9 is an issue. I know I'd have a problem if another dive service used my company name, regardless of where they were located. But I do love Georgetown and Manny's is one of my top 3 pale ales.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
Conditioning: Nothing
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Well, one is 9 LB Porter, the other is a fruit beer that is simply called #9...
I wonder if Magic Hat will threaten to sue Baltika next...
Last edited by rabidgerbil on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabidgerbil

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:23 pm

Georgetown = 9LB Porter
Magic Hat = #9

The only thing in common is the number. So Magic Hat is claiming rights to a number? Fuck them.
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:24 pm

I wonder how many markets they overlap which could cause confusion, shame that it came to this. Georgetown is a small brewery here in Seattle, and Magic Hat is not up here yet..sucks for Georgetown.
dminnery

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:26 pm

dminnery wrote:I wonder how many markets they overlap which could cause confusion, shame that it came to this. Georgetown is a small brewery here in Seattle, and Magic Hat is not up here yet..sucks for Georgetown.

Georgetown is the second largest non bottling brewery in the world (just after Mac & Jack's here in Redmond, WA), but their distro doesn't go much outside of Washington. To my knowledge, we don't get Magic Hat at all in the Northwest.
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:29 pm

dminnery wrote:I wonder how many markets they overlap which could cause confusion, shame that it came to this. Georgetown is a small brewery here in Seattle, and Magic Hat is not up here yet..sucks for Georgetown.

Well....from a strictly legal standpoint they may have something....but hey....stop being a douche...Everyone knows that #9 is Magic hat, it has been there for years!
Everyone needs to STFU and have a beer....
The BN Army.......you can't have a revolution without soldiers!!!

Always try to be the person that your dog thinks you are!

CaribouBill -- BNArmy Ranger, Great White North Division
CaribouBill

Next

Return to General Beer Related