Water hardness questions

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:46 am

Hello.

I'm hoping to brew for the first time in a couple of weeks, so figured I'd ask a few questions.

From what I can tell, generally extract brewers don't have to concern themselves with water hardness as much as all grain brewers. I live on a farm and get spring water out of my faucet (since I have a natural underground spring on the property), so I know that the water is quite hard.

Seeing as I'll be an extract brewer initially, all the while using my spring's water, are there any particular styles I should stick with, or should I just go ahead and brew whatever I feel like brewing? I really have no impetus at the moment to go toying around with my water and doing RO and all that stuff, so I wanted some thoughts on this.

Also, does anybody know where one can get their water tested (or test themselves) for various minerals and the like? I know I tested water at college one time, but seeing as the chemistry department later made us return books and workbooks to ensure the integrity in the chemistry program, I have no idea how to test for these things myself anymore. I would prefer to test the water myself, as I have a fully capable lab at work, so if anybody could lead me in the right direction for that, I'd be grateful. If you also know of agencies that will test the water, I would be glad to hear about that as well.

Thanks a lot.

- joe
trans

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:21 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. If it tastes good go ahead and brew with it. Messing with the water is something for much later. If you carbon filter your drinking water then I would use that. If not go with it strait up.

Here is a good place for testing....

http://www.wardlab.com/

One of these two tests would be good.

Code: Select all
W-5     Household Complete Mineral Test     
Sodium
Calcium
Magnesium
Potassium
Carbonate
Bicarbonate
Chloride
Sulfate
Nitrate
Fluoride
Iron
Electrical Conductivity
Est. Total Dissolved Solids
pH
Total Hardness
Total Alkalinity
$15.00

W-6    Household Mineral Test
Sodium
Calcium
Magnesium
Potassium
Carbonate
Bicarbonate
Chloride
Sulfate
Nitrate
Electrical Conductivity
Est. Total Dissolved Solids
pH
Total Hardness (Lime)
Total Alkalinity   
$12.00

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:37 pm

Thanks for the reply, Travis.

Yeah, I figured water would be a concern later on as I progress as a brewer, but looking through some books they have all these mineral correction tables and all that, so I guess I was trying to gauge its relevance for me, the extract brewer. My water tastes great right out of the faucet, so I think it should work fine. I find it kind of funny sometimes that this stuff is even drinkable when I go up the the holding tank for my water supply. Just funny to see this 3 inch steel pipe pounded into the rock and watch the water trickle into the concrete tank which gravity feeds via pipe to my house.

At some point I will definitely send a water sample Ward's way, though. For the price, it should be well worth it. I suppose I wanted to do the water testing myself before, but you really can't go wrong for the prices they list.

Thanks again.

- joe
trans

Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:03 pm

With the added detailes of your water supply I would have one concern. That would be that you could have bacteria or wild yeast in the water. You may want to boil your top of water the day before you brew and chill it for brewday. Just some insurance.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:23 pm

Travis,

I was definitely thinking of boiling the top-off water as you suggested.

Basically, the water comes out of the pipe that is pounded into the rock, then falls a couple feet into a concrete tub. Around all of this is an enclosed structure, but all I have is a wooden door keeping all the baddies out. In fact, it has always been this way, and I replace the door when it starts falling apart. I haven't really had any problems with bugs/worms/whatever getting in there, but like you said, bacteria and wild yeast could be an issue. I do get a quick turnaround of water (I think it only holds about 150 gallons), so it is never a problem to use for bathing or drinking. For making beer though, I definitely share your concern.

Hmm, I wonder if I ever get around to brewing and sending beer to TBN if they'll want to drink it now, haha. The water really isn't as bad as I made it sound in the last post. It is perfectly clear and tastes great...just it might have some stray bacteria/yeast like you said.

In any case, thanks for the sound advice, and I will most certainly boil my top-off water.

- joe
trans

Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:15 pm

Your local health department may test your water for free... depends on your locale.
BUB (Boob)
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:03 am

bub wrote:Your local health department may test your water for free... depends on your locale.

Cool, bub. I may just look in to that.

Once a year this place comes around leaving little sample jars for us to leave water, but they are trying to make money of course. So they'll test the water for free, but then try to sell you some filtration devices or what not. Needless to say, I'm tempted to just leave them a piss sample and not provide my contact information.

Anyways, I'll get my water tested sooner or later, probably a month or two before I go to all-grain. I figure just doing extract batches now it's not a huge concern.

I know my water is pretty hard, but it would be good to get actual concentrations so I know what, if anything, needs adjusted.

- joe
trans

Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:49 am

With extract, it doesn't really matter what your chemistry is. As they say, "If it tastes good, it's fine to brew with." The only thing I'd recommend is definately pre-boiling the top-up water.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss.
--Robert A. Heinlein: The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Brewing Water Page - Enter and view water data.
George

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing