Fermentation question

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:49 am

Ok now that I finally purchased a hydrometer Ive got my OG and FG. My question is, once FG is achieved, is there any other reason to keep the wort in the primary and or secondary fermentor? I purchased a Norther Brewer LME kit and the instructions say to keep it in the primary for at least 2 weeks and bottle another 2 weeks. But my FG was around 1.5 weeks Should I bottle it now? Or are there other benefits to let it sit in primary and or secondary (besides for clarification) beyond the FG?
ed71

Re: Fermentation question

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:05 am

The flavors will mature and the yeast might clean up some of the byproducts that they produced. Things will settle out and there might be some residual sugars fermented that are in amounts too small to be detected byt he hydrometer.
-"You want a beer?"
-"But it's 7am"
-"Scotch?"
ziggy

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:55 am

+1 on the yeast cleaning up after themselves. If fermentation truly is 100% complete, that's all the yeast will be doing. Allowing it to batch age isn't a bad idea either, but that can also be accomplished in the package (bottle/keg).

Keep in mind those instructions aren't the best; they're written so someone with no skill or experience can make a drinkable product when all is said & done. There's a lot of things that you can do differently than the instructions state to make it into a better product but they're either more complicated, require more background knowledge, or more advanced techniques/tools. They'll get you there, but don't think they're the best or only way to get you there.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks guys, I figured there had to be more than just the end of fermentation of the yeasts. I had noticed a few other guys let their wort sit for bout 3 weeks and most others exactly 2 weeks.
ed71

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:33 pm

Honestly, as long as your sanitation/cleaning practices are solid, you can let it go for quite a while with no ill effect. You'll hit that point of diminishing returns, but you won't have to worry about it going south on you.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Ozwald wrote:You'll hit that point of diminishing returns

Which depends a lot on style assuming everything else was well done. I've had Belgians sit for 3.5 months at 75-90F in the carboy... but also 'ruined' a perfectly ok IPA by leaving it for 2 months...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:59 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Ozwald wrote:You'll hit that point of diminishing returns

Which depends a lot on style assuming everything else was well done. I've had Belgians sit for 3.5 months at 75-90F in the carboy... but also 'ruined' a perfectly ok IPA by leaving it for 2 months...

I think that was because you got me drunk & I pissed in your carboy when I couldn't find the washing machine.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing