Help with managing large amount of trub in fermentor

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Brewed a partial mash Rye IPA last weekend. I thought I was keeping track of my boil volume closely, somehow I ended up with <5 gallons after siphoning to the Better bottle fermentor carboy. So I said, to heck with it and poured in the rest of the volume at the bottom of the boil pot, now I have about 8 inches of solid trub at the bottom of the fermentor. Dumb move, I dont know what I was thinking. How can I get the maximum of that volume back when I go to secondary? How can I prevent this next time? Ive heard of using a hop bag, but how do you do different addition times, and then how do I get that bag out of the bottle after it is full of wort and expanded? I gotta figure this out, this is my wife's favorite type of beer!
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: Help with managing large amount of trub in fermentor

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:46 am

http://byo.com/stories/projects-and-equ ... r-projects.
You should be fine, just give it enough time to settle and compact before transferring. If you can crash cool it, that would help. Relax, don't worry, suck it JP.
hoodie

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Agreed. A couple day cold crash (if possible) will help to compact the trub to the bottom of the fermenter. Just be careful when racking out of the fermenter and leave your racking cane above the trub on the bottom.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:11 pm

hoodie wrote:http://byo.com/stories/projects-and-equipment/item/2427-build-a-hop-spider-projects.
You should be fine, just give it enough time to settle and compact before transferring. If you can crash cool it, that would help. Relax, don't worry, suck it JP.

Brilliant idea, Im making a hop spider tomorrow. Thanks Hoodie!!
Jason.

Longtermferm:

crashlann

Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:33 pm

The crash cooling worked brilliantly. The beer is the best Ive made to date. I lost some yeast in the cooling, so its a tad bit undercarbed, but not noticeable to others probably. I still lost a lot of volume in the trub, but a lot less than I would have without cooling. Ive used the hop spider already making a Dubbel last week, cant wait to use it on a DIPA. It works awesome. Thanks for the help, you are making it possible for me to make great beer! This is starting to get fun... :pop
Jason.

Longtermferm:

crashlann

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing