Re: Kern River Citra clone?

Thu May 16, 2013 12:19 am

Sorry about that, I skimmed through the list a little too quickly. Habit, I guess. I keep my base malts sans wheat at the top of the list. You won't likely find carapils in a light extract & it's hard to say what's in the darker ones. I always point people away from those anyhow for that very reason. I use the frozen pizza analogy. I only buy cheese frozen pizzas & add my own toppings. Not only is it convenient that you can buy them in bulk & decide what you're in the mood for on the night you're making one, but moreso, you don't know the quality/amounts of those extra ingredients. You're still saving the time of making your own dough, letting it rise & shaping it, but you can decide 'tonight, I feel like just a few onions but extra mushrooms' for example.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu May 16, 2013 4:39 am

I feel the same way about keeping things simple so I can build on them myself. :jnj

as for the conversion, isn't LME used at 75% to an all grain weight, or am I off?
Bottled: Mosaic pale ale, Dubbel, Shallow Grave porter
Fermenter: Citra, Simcoe & Galaxy IIPA
On Deck: Kern River Citra clone
cletusdog

Thu May 16, 2013 6:10 am

cletusdog wrote:I feel the same way about keeping things simple so I can build on them myself. :jnj

as for the conversion, isn't LME used at 75% to an all grain weight, or am I off?

I do the math by points - this time I just assumed a 6 gallon batch @ 75%eff. Depending on the base malt, the extract supplier & the AG system the recipe was designed on, it'll vary by quite a bit. I don't have any interest in cloning, so not the slightest clue what the CYBI recipes are designed around. Also my numbers are probably a touch off since I converted what you wrote to kg in my head, did the adjustment in kg & converted back to pounds. Rounding off a few times could throw it a few points in either direction.

In this case you can plug it into the software of your choice, use the numbers I gave you as a starting point & adjust until the gravity looks good. If you don't have software yet, it might be a good time to try a couple to see what you like. There are several that are either free or give a nice trial period. If you're not a nerd, I'd stay away from ProMash - it's excellent software & I love it a ton over BeerSmith, but it's not the easiest to learn for most people. Edit: And there's always a pencil, paper, Palmer's book, and a few aspirin.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu May 16, 2013 10:40 am

cletusdog wrote:I feel the same way about keeping things simple so I can build on them myself. :jnj

As a general rule, yes, LME is about 75% of the base grain weight.

I'm brewing the all-grain version on Saturday!
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Thu May 16, 2013 1:09 pm

would 55% LME and 20% sugar be a ridiculous idea for getting a decent final gravity? Is that way too much sugar?
7 lbs LME
2.5 lbs sugar
I'm trying to find an OG 1.070 & FG of 1.010, but even with the sugar, brewersfriend.com is showing 1.017 FG.
by the way, I went back and listened to CYBI and got the exact recipe.

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
7 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light 37 2.5 55.7%
12.3 oz American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 6.1%
12.3 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 10L 35 10 6.1%
12.3 oz American - Munich - Light 10L 33 10 6.1%
6 oz Canadian - Honey Malt 37 25 3%
6 oz American - White Wheat 40 2.8 3%
2.5 lb Cane Sugar 46 0 19.9%
cletusdog

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:46 pm

cletusdog wrote:I just checked my oven and 170 is the lowest it'll go, so I think that's a no go. Should I heat up a pot on the stove top until I get a consistent 150 and drop in my grains (in a bag)? How long and how much water? I think my kettle is 5 gallons.

Any help with this mini mash? I'm a blank slate.

What's the easiest way to get that done? volume/steps, etc...
cletusdog

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing