Carbonating Stone

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Do carbonating stones work well. Can beer be served from corney keg with line and stone still hooked up.
3stall

Re: Carbonating Stone

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:39 pm

IMO, they are unnecessary.

Just set the pressure and temperature where you want it, purge a few times, and leave it alone.
It'll be ready in a few days. You can help speed it along with a shake every now and then, but it might be my imagination but you get finer bubbles and a foamier, moussier head when you don't try to rush it and just let it go on its own. Quick carbonating and shaking tends to produce bigger bubbles and quick falling head, at least in my experience.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks. This was my fisrt kegged beer... I won't be so anxious next time.
3stall

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:13 pm

I'd agree they're unneccessary. I don't see a difference in the texture of the foam quick vs. slow forced carb, but I recently switched over (finally got a gas manifold a few months ago) & it seems easier to keep the carbonation where I like it. I always had a hard time keeping the carb level from drifting up & down a few tenths using the fast carb method.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:49 am

BDawg wrote:IMO, they are unnecessary.

... it might be my imagination but you get finer bubbles and a foamier, moussier head when you don't try to rush it and just let it go on its own. Quick carbonating and shaking tends to produce bigger bubbles and quick falling head, at least in my experience.

I have had the same experience. Low and slow seems to always be better.
mtyquinn

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 pm

BDawg wrote:IMO, they are unnecessary.

Just set the pressure and temperature where you want it, purge a few times, and leave it alone.
It'll be ready in a few days. You can help speed it along with a shake every now and then, but it might be my imagination but you get finer bubbles and a foamier, moussier head when you don't try to rush it and just let it go on its own. Quick carbonating and shaking tends to produce bigger bubbles and quick falling head, at least in my experience.

I usually shake the crap out of my beers for about 4 min due to what my LHBS told me. I leave it for about 48 hours. I feel like they don't carb up right. But instead of large bubbles I feel like they are waaay too fine / too many and often de-carb very quickly. Next beer I will try some patience. Maybe I'll ust try to re-carb one of my current beers.
gauzzastrip

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing