Re: steeping grains

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:50 am

BDawg wrote:A better process that will help prepare you if you ever want to make the move to AG would be to shoot for a specific temperature in the normal mashing range and keep it there for 30-45 minutes. A good temp for this is 153F.
You will learn to adjust temperatures, and get used to using heat and cold to zero in on and then settle at a steady temperature. Besides, these temps work great for steeping so you are kind of killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

my .02-

Agreed... it's been a while since I've done a straight steep, and when I was, I let the temp ramp like I described. However, a steep is only different from a mash in that you are paying attention to temp and volume, and using grains that need to be converted in addition to the steepable grains, so keeping it at a steady temp is good practice for AG.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing