Newbi Question

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:57 pm

I am a newbi and also on a tight budget. I won't have a wort chiller for a while, but understand the importance of chilling the wort. Would freezing gal milk jugs, then submerging them into the BOP of wort work?

D
dondford

Re: Newbi Question

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:09 am

If you don't have a wort chiller, I would recommend an ice bath over adding any frozen bottles to the kettle. However if you are going to put anything in, make sure the containers can handle the heat without kicking off any toxins or off flavors. Also make sure you sanitize anything you add after the boil.

However on a side note, I have put a kettle to the side for a day after boil (no chill) with a lid on it and pitched the yeast the next day. You just have to make sure you have sanitization down 110%. However I'd say adding a wort chiller would be helpful long term.

Cheers!
Brown Ridge Brewing: My homebrew recipe's and brewing exploits.
SmartFoneCases.com: Quality cases at an affordable price.
beerdrinker

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:30 am

stick with an ice bath in the tub or sink. Don't go sticking things that are not sanitized in your wort. or things that can melt.
mtyquinn

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:09 am

Are you doing partial boil? Chilling your top off water can get you down in addition to an icebath. If you are doing full boils, you really are gonna want to get a chiller.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing