New brewer in town

Wed May 23, 2012 7:49 am

Hi guys i just started brewing like two weeks ago, my first kit is a cooper's australian lager it's already bottle and i already taste it, taste find just need one or two more weeks to get well carbonated, that being said this is my question i'm already thinking in my next brew and i was thinking in an all extract but unhopped maybe a brown ale or a porter so what do you recommend for a new brewer, any recipe? which of this style it would be easier to brew?
BeerBox10

Re: New brewer in town

Sat May 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Brown Ale, Porter, Pale Ale. All pretty easy for a new brewer.

Where are you from?

Welcome to the BN.
whoateallthepies

Sat May 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Welcome.
A brown ale or porter would be a good way to go.
no fuss, no muss.
where ya from?
:jnj
snowcapt

Sat May 26, 2012 8:49 pm

By unhopped I assume you mean using extract that hasn't been prehopped, and adding your own during the boil? We don't charge for punctuation around here, feel free to use more.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun May 27, 2012 7:49 am

I'm from Venezuela, thanks for the welcoming guys, and yes spider that's what i mean LOL excuse my english i'm still working on it, like my first brew was just a can of prehopped extract and a dry malt extract i'm thinking on adding hops myself and steeping some specialty grains to do and upgrade on my beer, like my first brew was OK i think my process is find so i would like to give it a try, another thing that i would like to do is to add a secondary fermentation.
BeerBox10

Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 am

BeerBox10 wrote:I'm from Venezuela, thanks for the welcoming guys, and yes spider that's what i mean LOL excuse my english i'm still working on it, like my first brew was just a can of prehopped extract and a dry malt extract i'm thinking on adding hops myself and steeping some specialty grains to do and upgrade on my beer, like my first brew was OK i think my process is find so i would like to give it a try, another thing that i would like to do is to add a secondary fermentation.

Listen to any old show about extract brewing for tips on how to make them better. In a nutshell -

1) Only use the lightest extract you can find. I prefer dry, but liquid is fine, too - if it is fresh.
2) Use steeping grains for color and flavor.
3) Skip the "secondary" fermentation - and just be more patient in the primary. A full two weeks for ales is my norm. Less chance for oxidation and contamination, more contact time with active yeast.

As always, 1-3 assume the three paramounts of great homebrew making are already observed by you - namely - sanitation, fermentation temp control, and healthy yeast pitches.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks a lot mylo, so do you skip secondary fermentation with fine results huh, i just want it to give it a try to find out if i note the difference, well in my first batch i leave it for 10 days in the primary fermentator (the only one) instead of what coopers recommends and i think that makes some improvement, i taste it on day 7 and on day 10 and was noticeably better.

Please if my English is too bad feel free to correct me.
BeerBox10

Tue May 29, 2012 7:53 am

BeerBox10 wrote:Thanks a lot mylo, so do you skip secondary fermentation with fine results huh, i just want it to give it a try to find out if i note the difference, well in my first batch i leave it for 10 days in the primary fermentator (the only one) instead of what coopers recommends and i think that makes some improvement, i taste it on day 7 and on day 10 and was noticeably better.

Please if my English is too bad feel free to correct me.

Your English is great. Listen to Spider's brewing advice (he has a lot of experience), ignore everything else. He just likes to give newcomers a hard time! :asshat: :wink: :D
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing