Fuggles 1.50oz 4.2% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 23.0 IBU
Fuggles 0.50oz 4.2% AA Pellet @ 10 min, 2.8 IBU
Kent Golding 1.00oz 5.1% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop

[Yeast/Other]
Thames Valley II 1.0 unit(s), Yeast Private collection Jan - Mar 2012
madchemist83

Re: First AG batch

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:11 am

What are you aiming for? That's not really going to produce an English Brown Ale. You definitely need some roasted malts in there (mostly Chocolate Malt).

If you are going for the Northern variant (e.g. Newcastle) back off on the Crystal a lot. Think more like 5%, and make up your color with Chocolate and/or Pale Chocolate malt.

If you are going for the (sweeter) Southern variant, you still want some Chocolate/Pale Chocolate in there. You can keep a fair bit of the crystal, but you'll be better off using multiple lovibond ratings--for instance, I usually like about 10% of a Crystal 80 and 5% or so of a Crystal 135. This adds a little more depth and complexity than just using one crystal malt in large quantity. You are definitely on the right track with sourcing British base and crystal malts. You'll probably want to drop the dry hops then as well to keep it from clashing with the sweetness.

As far as AG goes, take good notes. Get accurate volume measurements of everything (water in, water out at every step--mash, sparge, boil). This will help you predict things like efficiency accurately for your next batch.
siwelwerd

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks bro. I was going for northern one. I thought it didn't supposed to have roasted malt? Also why not to dry hop I thought that that what defines northern is hop
madchemist83

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Everything in this style points to light balanced touches of a bunch of things-
A touch of nutty malt with the caramel. Light UK hop aroma, with low to no hop flavor.
Medium to medium low hop bitterness. Balance is the key.

I'd move the 10 min addition to flame out, and skip the dry hop addition.
Leave the bittering addition as it is or maybe bump it up a little to hit 28 IBUs total.
Add a small amount of chocolate or light chocolate and back down on the Crystal, splitting it into 2 smaller but different Lovibond crystal additions like Drew said.

One other thing, Golden Promise and Maris Otter are both great base malts. No need for both, though.

I'd do a single infusion mash for this at 151F, and carbonate to roughly 2.75 volums of CO2. (about 5.5 oz instead of the normal 5 oz of priming sugar ought to do it).

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style11.php#1c

Aroma: Light, sweet malt aroma with toffee, nutty and/or caramel notes. A light but appealing fresh hop aroma (UK varieties) may also be noticed. A light fruity ester aroma may be evident in these beers, but should not dominate. Very low to no diacetyl.

Appearance: Dark amber to reddish-brown color. Clear. Low to moderate off-white to light tan head.

Flavor: Gentle to moderate malt sweetness, with a nutty, lightly caramelly character and a medium-dry to dry finish. Malt may also have a toasted, biscuity, or toffee-like character. Medium to medium-low bitterness. Malt-hop balance is nearly even, with hop flavor low to none (UK varieties). Some fruity esters can be present; low diacetyl (especially butterscotch) is optional but acceptable.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Medium to medium-high carbonation.

Overall Impression: Drier and more hop-oriented that southern English brown ale, with a nutty character rather than caramel.

Comments: English brown ales are generally split into sub-styles along geographic lines.

Ingredients: English mild ale or pale ale malt base with caramel malts. May also have small amounts darker malts (e.g., chocolate) to provide color and the nutty character. English hop varieties are most authentic. Moderate carbonate water.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.040 – 1.052
IBUs: 20 – 30
FG: 1.008 – 1.013
SRM: 12 – 22
ABV: 4.2 – 5.4%

Commercial Examples: Newcastle Brown Ale, Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale, Riggwelter Yorkshire Ale, Wychwood Hobgoblin, Tröegs Rugged Trail Ale, Alesmith Nautical Nut Brown Ale, Avery Ellie’s Brown Ale, Goose Island Nut Brown Ale, Samuel Adams Brown Ale
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks. I know there was no need for two base malts. Just wanted to try something different. I'm sure it will impact flavor a bit.
So I lowered 50-60 crystal to 1 lb and biscuit to 0.5 lb. Added 0.5 lb of carastan, 0.5 lb of victory and 0.25 lbs of chocolate. And hops I have 1.5 oz Fuggles @ 60
0.5 oz Fuggles @ 20
1 oz Kent Golding @ flameout
What do you think?
madchemist83

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:13 pm

the 20 min addition will add hop flavor that is contrary to the style guidelines.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:06 pm

It says low to none hop flavor. I can move it 5 min up or down.
madchemist83

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing