fruit brew advice

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:46 am

I'm having a cinco de mayo party so I thought a quaffable fruit hef would be good. I'm thinking of taking b3's american wheat extract kit and racking onto some sort of fruit in the secondary. Probably black or blueberry.. I was wondering whether it would be better to get fresh fruit, muddle then put in a grain bag, or if fruit extract is the way to go?
dipadave

Re: fruit brew advice

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:20 pm

For me it depends on the fruit that you are trying to use. Something like raspberries are very flavorful and easy to transfer, so real fruit is the way to go. As for blackberries or blueberries, blueberries flavor is hard to transfer and I would use a extract for that. Blackberries are middle of the road and I think you could get away with real fruit, but would have to use more of it to get a pronounced flavor out of them.

just my 2 cents on it.
CRBrewHound

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks, I think I'll see what looks best at the farmers market on brew day and decide from there. How long do you usually keep fruit in the secondary?

Kegerator: citra/Simcoe session pale
Primary: blind pig clone
dipadave

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm

The Oregon fruit purees are an excellent source of fruit. Keep in mind that adding fruit is going to add more fermentables, so in terms of timing, you want to go at least as long as there is active fermentation.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:13 pm

So rack to secondary on day 7-8, then sample at day 14-15 or so when it's fully fermented?
dipadave

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:45 am

dipadave wrote:So rack to secondary on day 7-8, then sample at day 14-15 or so when it's fully fermented?

I just wait until I see the bubbles in the airlock start to slow to 1 bubble about every 3 seconds, then I add fruit.
CRBrewHound

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:06 pm

dipadave wrote:Thanks, I think I'll see what looks best at the farmers market on brew day and decide from there. How long do you usually keep fruit in the secondary?

Kegerator: citra/Simcoe session pale
Primary: blind pig clone

I usually leave the beer on the fruit for about 3-4 weeks. This gives beer more time to absorb the fruit flavors and aromas. Start tasting around week 3 and go from there. Always use more fruit than you think you need to. I average about 2#/gallon of most fruits and always wish I had used more. If you go puree, you can use 2 cans or so (although that gets pricey after a bit). PM me if you are interested for some tips on adding fruit to the secondary.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:30 am

Question of my own along these lines...

Do you up your hops to account for the extra sugar from the fruit in your planning, or do you just kind of play it by ear? Just curious, as when I add the fruit to my Beersmith calcs it pops the SG up quite a bit...
fulkrum78

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing