Re: My first brew .. is something is wrong?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:49 am

madchemist83 wrote:I'm looking for FG of 1.000.

Probably not that low.
code
codewritinfool

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:12 am

No? Ok maybe not. But if I added amylase enzyme wouldn't it convert all unfermentables into sugars and then yeast ferments it all? So the more I'm feeding it more ethanol I'm gonna have.
madchemist83

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 am

Update.
Fermentation is still going and bubbles are about one every 8 sec. I'm gonna let it go until it stops bubbling and then will measure gravity. If everything goes well I'll be looking at 7% abv. I used the same yeast for second fermentation ( it was tempting to use something else, like Nottingham). Can't wait. I'm already working on my next batch ( Wheat Doppelbock with a twist :aaron ). This is really addicting :)
madchemist83

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Dont go by bubble count. Give it a good 2 weeks, then check gravity.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:39 pm

But if the gravity stays the same what's a point of letting it sit. I'm confused.
madchemist83

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:54 pm

The yeast may still be cleaning things up in there, and you also generally don't want to be running to do hydro readings everyday, each time you open it up, you increase the potential for an infection. Just let it be and let the yeast do their thing.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:19 pm

So update. It's bubbling only at about bubble per minute or two. Unfortunately my hydrometer broke so I couldn't get the gravity but it tastes good. Should I wait some more or just bottle it?
madchemist83

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:29 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:The yeast may still be cleaning things up in there, and you also generally don't want to be running to do hydro readings everyday, each time you open it up, you increase the potential for an infection. Just let it be and let the yeast do their thing.

Since you don't seem to be taking Spiderwrangler's advice to just let it be, maybe you should read a book on home brewing. Brewing is pretty forgiving prefermentation. Once it is fermenting, other than dry hopping or adding fruit, DON'T mess with fermentation. You also haven't mentioned whether or not you are using temperature control for your ferment. If it taste good NOW you should probably just continue to drink it till its gone. At the rate your going it will probably end up a dumper!
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing