Re: extract to partial mash

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:18 am

I think Partial mash is like a nice comfort level step to all grain, but after a couple batches I would think you will go on to AG. Like Cody said, do a batch with some grains that have to be mashed, like a nice rye pale or something. If you don't have the ability to do full wort boils with a chiller, I think that would be the first step up to make a difference. Partial mash will be good practice to keep an even mash temp over a given time period. When you get that down it'll be nothing to go AG and mash in a cooler or something simple like that. I made the change 13 months ago and never looked back, although I did dump my first AG batch due to water profile additions before I knew what I was doing. Get a Ward Labs report on your water so you know what you're working with. By last summer I was brewing my best ever batches. Don't underestimate the benefit of packaging on C02 either. It was the biggest improvement I made last year. With AG you really have total control over the beer you make. When you get comfortable enough to make your own recepies, the satisfaction level really increases and creativity does too. We all learn something with every batch we brew. Have fun with it, be patient and don't get discouraged when things go wrong, cause they will. :jnj
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:32 am

Thanks for all the replies!

Two more partial mash (AG) questions:

I have a 5 gallon igloo cooler with a false bottom and a valve to transfer the soon to be wort. I also have a grain bag. Should I just dump the grain in the mash tun or should I put it in the grain bag?

And secondly, I certainly understand cleaning/sanitizing is paramount! But since the wort will be boiled for 60 minutes, do I need to sanitize the mash tun, false bottom, valve.. etc..? Or is a quick rinse, wipe down good enough? Better yet, pbw and quick rinse?

Thanks again!
Hoont
Hoont

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:07 am

If you have a false bottom you don't need the grain bag.
Just make sure the mash tun and related parts are physically clean, just use soap and water. PBW would be overkill unless you have some serious build up. No need to sanitize.
Good Luck! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks much, I'll be AG before you know it!
Hoont
Hoont

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 am

Great thread, in the same spot that Hoont is in, just accumulating the equipment. I plan to make a few Partial Mash batches then go AG.

Good info in here.
Larsccw

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:55 am

If you don't have the equipment to do a partial mash in a cooler, it's an excellent use for a mesh bag. Only a step or two removed from steeping, and only a step or two from doing an AG batch BIAB style. The main differences are that you will care more about temperature, and that you care more about water to grain ratio. When steeping, it is common to add your steeping grains to the full volume of water, but for doing a partial mash, you'll want to keep it more in the typical mashing ratio range.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing