Re: FIrst 5 gallon batch - gone wrong?

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:57 pm

halsem wrote:One more note, even though I am fermenting in basement, crystal thermometer on bucket shows temp 72-74 F.
I am using Whitelabs 013 London ale yeast, could the temp be too warm, if so how can I cool it?

That's prob a little warm but by now the yeast are near the finish of fermentation, if not done already. Your beer will be a little more estery than if your fermented at say 68F or so.
Next batch try putting your fermenter in a large tub, fill with water and add a couple frozen 2 liter bottles and swap them as they thaw. I you swap them in the morning and in the evening, you should b golden.
Now as for your FG, you could try rousing the fermenter and leave at the same temp and you may get it to drop one or two more points, maybe.
Let us know how it's tasting when you get it in bottles!

:jnj
Josh
Jbug

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:57 am

would dry hopping at this stage do any good to balance the flavor a little. I understand dry-hopping wont add bitterness but it might cancel some of the sweetness?
halsem

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:01 am

I don't think dry hopping will cure your sweetness prob but it couldn't hurt to add it. I love dry hopped beers and I dry hop damn near every ale I brew. It's just good business :)

:jnj
Jbug

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:44 am

halsem wrote:One more note, even though I am fermenting in basement, crystal thermometer on bucket shows temp 72-74 F.
I am using Whitelabs 013 London ale yeast, could the temp be too warm, if so how can I cool it?

First, let it sit another week. The yeast might need more time.

Moisten an old t-shirt or towel, wrap it around the bucket and point a fan at it to cool it. Remoisten the t-shirt or towel every time it dries out.

If you scorched the wort, it may be darker than expected. If you get a scorched taste, you could always use it to make BBQ sauce, if it isn't too strong.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Follow-up:
The beer appeared to ferment fine. Some banana-ry ester smell but not taste.
One odd question, when I pop the bottle cap, there is a rapid overflow of beer from the bottle but when I poor there is no real head.
I primed with 3oz priming sugar with 1 cup water (boiled) and added to 5 gallon bucket.
I can taste carbonation but why the vesuvius eruption and no head retention?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Matt
halsem

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:14 am

Sounds like the CO2 is there, it's just not fully dissolved in the beer yet. If your bottles aren't cold, let them get cold and stay cold for a couple days. Hopefully that helps.
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:38 am

Have you tried this beer yet? If so how did it taste?
Peace, Love, Unity
L0nni3
l0nni3

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:55 am

My closet temp where my fermenter is usually runs about 68-70 F. I'm not sure about the exact temperature of my beer during fermentation (I need to get a bucket thermometer). However, I have read a lot of posts that say to keep a wet t-shirt over the bucket to lower the temperature. I am trying this on my current batch. If it takes a bit longer to ferment, I'm not worried about that. But I don't want it to get too hot. Since I'm a noob my advice is probably more of answering a question with a question... take it for what it's worth.
alcaponejunior

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing