Calculate extract volume from weight

Thu May 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to work out (roughly) what the volume of 3.6kg of LME would be. Anyone know what the rough volume of LME is by weight?
--------
Husky

Keg - Scottish 80 /-

PFC BN Army (Toilet Scrubbing Division, Toothbrush Unit)
huskey-no.2

Re: Calculate extract volume from weight

Fri May 27, 2011 4:44 am

Use your specific gravity, convert to density, then divide your weight (3.6 kg) by the density. Bam.

Of course you will have to figure out the SG of your concentrated extract, not the number they give you after adding it to ~1 gallon of water. But then you can calculate for the dilution, too, if you know how.
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Fri May 27, 2011 5:43 am

6# is about 1/2 a gallon. The 3.15# jugs are about 1/4 gallon. That's far from exact. I've had pairs of 6# jugs that had fill levels about an inch different yet both jugs weighed the same.

Are you tring to estimate boil volumes?
I see drunk people . . . . . .
Fugglupagus

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks both,

Yes was looking at how much the kettle volume would be after adding the extract to 25 litres of water. I haven't got an acurate level measurement stick that I'm willing to dip in the wort. Putting in a sight glass soon. As it happens I was out by 0.5 litre out.
--------
Husky

Keg - Scottish 80 /-

PFC BN Army (Toilet Scrubbing Division, Toothbrush Unit)
huskey-no.2

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing