Blue Moon Summer Ale

Thu May 26, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm looking for a recipe of something close to a Blue Moon Summer Ale. It's no Pliny the Elder but friends that visit are asking for something like that Summer Ale.

Does anyone know of a recipe that can be adjusted to be close? Maybe a basic WPL300 Wheat Beer with a bit of Honey and Sweet Orange peel?

Thoughts?
MasterBlaster

Re: Blue Moon Summer Ale

Fri May 27, 2011 5:16 am

MasterBlaster wrote:I'm looking for a recipe of something close to a Blue Moon Summer Ale. It's no Pliny the Elder but friends that visit are asking for something like that Summer Ale.

Does anyone know of a recipe that can be adjusted to be close? Maybe a basic WPL300 Wheat Beer with a bit of Honey and Sweet Orange peel?

Thoughts?

I would take a Belgian Wit recipe and ferment it with a cleaner yeast. The 300 might be a bit too bubblegummy for Blue Moon. I'd try the American hefe strain or even the 001. Adding honey will add alcohol but the aroma and flavor rarely survive in the finished beer in my experience. For a nice honey-like character, try adding one tea-bag worth of Celestial Seasonings Chamomile tea, loose, (5 g) at the end of the boil. I prefer sweet orange peel to the bitter and generally just use the zest of an orange from the grocery store. Add your peel, coriander and chamomile close to flame-out.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing