Re: That stripper must have snuck out...

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:35 pm

sts wrote:Thanks guys. Is there a good way to go about converting from darker malts to specialty grains? Not that it matters a whole lot since this recipe isn't working out so well, just curious.

And Todd, it's pretty much what you're describing. No real flavors to speak of. And according to my notes the grains sat at 170 for several minutes before I could get the temp down, so that seems really likely. That way color would come through but less sugars would be converted?

This recipe is way in the past but I saw you never got an answer so I'll chime in.

Based on your recipe, you weren't mashing anything so the temp doesn't really matter. All the fermentable sugar is coming from the extract and the fermentability of that was determined back in the factory. Grains like roast barley and chocolate malt have had all their enzymes denatured when they were roasted so dark so they contribute no sugar, just flavor and color.

I think siwelwerd is on the money. If you want big body you need to mash some high protein grains like wheat or oats. Read up on doing a mini mash or partial mash and incorporate a pound of wheat malt or flaked oats into your recipe. Or at the very least, a pound of CaraPils which is supposed to do the same thing without mashing.
Corporal, BN Army
Docjowles

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing