Freezing Malt extract

Wed May 18, 2011 3:21 pm

I recently received an order from morebeer only to find out that I accidentally ordered an extract kit. I have a bunch of other recipes I planned to brew before this one and have always heard to keep LME refrigerated to maintain quality. I was wondering if anyone has ever frozen their extract, then thawed before brewing? If so did the quality suffer at all?

Thanks!
Brewtoven

Re: Freezing Malt extract

Wed May 18, 2011 6:30 pm

How long do you plan on letting it sit around for, jeez?
I would just bang out the extract batch right quick. Maybe double up a brew day, maybe just have an easier brewday. You could cook it up while mashing another batch. If you have ample fermentation vessels, a a wee-bit of extra time, why not?
As far as freezing it goes, depending on how long it will be before you use it, throw it in the fridge. Dont open it and throw it in the fridge.
But whaddoo I know? :pop
snowcapt

Re: Freezing Malt extract

Thu May 19, 2011 3:23 am

The extract would be fine sitting out as long as you don't open it... A cooler space would be better than sitting right in the window or whatnot. For canisters of malt that I've opened, I do freeze mine. I purge the headspace with CO2, screw the cap back on (the Briess canisters are nice for this) and drop them in the chest freezer. It never really freezes, but does become a very viscous syrup.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing