First dry hopping

Mon May 16, 2011 1:57 pm

my first time adding dry hops to a beer. They came in the kit. leaf hops with a mesh bag. I put them in the bag and shoved them in the carboy. Hard enough to get in. Did not think until after that they might be hard to get out. Will this be a problem? :?:
suretolose

Re: First dry hopping

Mon May 16, 2011 8:07 pm

suretolose wrote:my first time adding dry hops to a beer. They came in the kit. leaf hops with a mesh bag. I put them in the bag and shoved them in the carboy. Hard enough to get in. Did not think until after that they might be hard to get out. Will this be a problem? :?:

If it ends up not wanting to drop out an unwound clothes hanger will probably drag it out. Next time just skip the sack; I can't see how it would make dry hopping work better.
jm

Re: First dry hopping

Tue May 17, 2011 7:15 am

Depends.

If you are always going to be using a siphon, then skip the bag. If you just want to lazily dump the carboy into a keg, then use one. I've done it both ways, and it's personal preference. Do not, however, dry hop in a keg without using a bag.

Leaf hops will remain floating; pellet hops will turn into mush and settle to the bottom.
kswbeer

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing