Yeast Starter

Sun May 08, 2011 5:25 pm

I apologize if this is not the correct location for this topic. Also, I used the search function but couldn't find a dedicated thread, so I again apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.

When making a yeast starter it seems you have 2 options - let it sit for a shorter period of time, lets say around 18 hours, and dump the entire mixture into your wort. The problem with this is you are adding 2 liters to almost 20 liters, and diluting it by 10%

An alternative is to let the starter sit for a few days, put it in the fridge so the yeast drops, decant it and throw away most of the liquid and pitch only the slurry (remaining yeast at the bottom).

My concern is will this be over pitching the amount of yeast needed? According to the MrMalty calculator (I think it assumes the first method of 18 hours and dump in everything) this method will produce too much yeast since it will have 3 days rather than 1 day.

What are your experiences?

If you are going to make a starter and let it sit for a few days and decant off the liquid:
1 - how much starter do I need for a 5 gallon batch? 2 lites? 1 liter?
2 - do you let it sit for 3 days? 4 days?

3 - when making a 2 liter starter - do you add in 2 liters of wanter, then add in DME, resulting in more than 2 liters OR do you add DME and pour in water to fill to 2 liters?

Please refer me to any articles than will answer these questions, thank you
ArcLight

Re: Yeast Starter

Sun May 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Brew Strong had an episode dedicated to yeast starters. It aired on 12/22/2008. I would check that out.
barleydog

Sun May 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Check out Jamil's site dedicated to answering such questions. http://www.mrmalty.com/

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun May 08, 2011 7:32 pm

According to the MrMalty calculator (I think it assumes the first method of 18 hours and dump in everything) this method will produce too much yeast since it will have 3 days rather than 1 day.

You can adjust what your procedure is in the Mr. Malty pitch calculator. If you are allowing your yeast to go to completely finish in your starter and then chill to decant, production is more a function of the size of your starter than the amount of time you let it sit.

1 - how much starter do I need for a 5 gallon batch? 2 lites? 1 liter?

This would depend on what you need. A higher gravity beer is going to generally require a larger starter.

2 - do you let it sit for 3 days? 4 days?

I have a stir plate for mine, I let it sit until it's done. As long as there are still bubbles being produced, it stays on the stirplate. I'll let it go a bit longer after I can't see bubbles being produced before chilling. This is gonna depend on starter size, yeast viability, temperature, nutrients, etc.

3 - when making a 2 liter starter - do you add in 2 liters of wanter, then add in DME, resulting in more than 2 liters OR do you add DME and pour in water to fill to 2 liters?

2 liters total is what I do, weigh out my DME, add a liter of hot water to it, add nutrients and anti-foam, whisk to combine, put that back into my flask and top up, boil, chill, drop in sanitized stir bar and pop it on the plate. This would be slightly more involved if not using a flask since it's got nice measurements on the side.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun May 08, 2011 8:38 pm

ArcLight wrote:My concern is will this be over pitching the amount of yeast needed? According to the MrMalty calculator (I think it assumes the first method of 18 hours and dump in everything) this method will produce too much yeast since it will have 3 days rather than 1 day.

If you make the right size starter you won't be over pitching either way. The bulk of the yeast growth is done in the first 12-18 hrs so there should be little to no difference in the quanity of yeast by letting the starter finish and decanting the spent wort. If anything there might be less yeast in the stater that has been crashed and the spent wort discarded because even in bright beer there may be as much as 100mil. cells/mil. still in suspension.
10 SEC COMMUTER

Mon May 09, 2011 2:48 am

Bugeater wrote:Check out Jamil's site dedicated to answering such questions. http://www.mrmalty.com/

Wayne

Perhaps I overlooked it, but I have already read over his website and didn't see an answer to this question. I did email him though. Thank you anyway.
ArcLight

Mon May 09, 2011 2:48 am

barleydog wrote:Brew Strong had an episode dedicated to yeast starters. It aired on 12/22/2008. I would check that out.

OK - thank you very much for answering, I'll check it out
ArcLight

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing