Is this normal?

Wed May 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi guys.

Just wanted to ask if this was normal fermentation for an Imperial Stout. It is pushing the krausen right up the tube and into the water. here is a few short videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQEYyJaIz4A
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cTJu8fK8eI

let me know what you think.

THanks
-Dam
Damented

Re: Is this normal?

Thu May 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Yep. That is the reason to use a blowoff instead of an airlock. I enjoy the sounds when the krausen finally makes it into the blowoff bucket (or bottle).
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Thu May 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Awesome thanks!!
Damented

Fri May 25, 2012 6:36 am

Was this with a yeast starter, repitched yeast, or just several vials? You should see the sucker take off when you use repitched yeast...WooHoo!!
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Sun May 27, 2012 10:44 am

Totally normal especially for a high gravity beer. You should purchase some Fermcap-S foam inhibitor. A few drops of it into your fermenter and your over flowing krausen days are over. No blowoff tube needed. just add a few drops as you see the krausen approaching the neck of the carboy to keep it under control. Have no worries as this does not affect your head retention or future use of reharvested yeast.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun May 27, 2012 6:10 pm

+1 for the Fermcap. It's a miracle worker. Good suggestion.
kswbeer

Mon May 28, 2012 7:57 pm

brewinhard wrote:Totally normal especially for a high gravity beer. You should purchase some Fermcap-S foam inhibitor. A few drops of it into your fermenter and your over flowing krausen days are over. No blowoff tube needed. just add a few drops as you see the krausen approaching the neck of the carboy to keep it under control. Have no worries as this does not affect your head retention or future use of reharvested yeast.

I disagree I do not notice a difference
!
MarriedToTheHops

Tue May 29, 2012 1:49 pm

Do you notice a difference (does it eliminate boil-over) when you use it in the boil kettle? Our group had to watch for boil-over every brewday, until we started using it.

In your fermenter, maybe use a little more, or spread it around the sides?
kswbeer

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing