Pale LME vs. Pilsener LME (Briess)

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 am

Aside from color, what are the differences between Pale LME and Pilsener LME? Do they behave differently in the brew kettle? Do they clarify differently? Is there a noticable taste difference?

The briess site:

Pilsener LME: Pils base + carapils, 2lovabond, 19% higher sugars
Pale LME: Base malt + carapils, 4 lovabond, 19% higher sagars

DSM is not a factor for extract brewing, correct?

Thanks
Mike
Asdel

Re: Pale LME vs. Pilsener LME (Briess)

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:13 pm

This is info straight from Briess website.

Pilsen Malt Extract - 2 deg Lov,- The lightest colored brewer's grade malt extract available. Use alone for light-colored beers, or with specialty malts to brew beers of all styles. Excellent for boosting gravity and yeast propagation.
Ingredients: Pilsen Malt, Carapils® Malt.

Golden Light Extract - 4 deg. lov. - Excellent light-colored pure malt extract. Use alone for light-colored beers, or with specialty malts to brew beers of all styles. Excellent for boosting gravity and yeast propagation.
Ingredients: Base Malt, Carapils® Malt

This was a great question though, I think there is alot of hazy understanding of this stuff. It seems that Golden Light would be fine for pale ales and darker, but if you are making a pilsner or light ale or alt maybe use the Pilsen.
Pouring - Infidel Porter, Pallino Wit
Fermenting - Till a rustic Saison
On Deck - Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Golden Strong maybe with brett
LukeD23

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:11 am

LukeD23 wrote:This is info straight from Briess website.

Pilsener Malt Extract - 2 deg Lov,- The lightest colored brewer's grade malt extract available. Use alone for light-colored beers, or with specialty malts to brew beers of all styles. Excellent for boosting gravity and yeast propagation.
Ingredients: Pilsen Malt, Carapils® Malt.

Golden Light Extract - 4 deg. lov. - Excellent light-colored pure malt extract. Use alone for light-colored beers, or with specialty malts to brew beers of all styles. Excellent for boosting gravity and yeast propagation.
Ingredients: Base Malt, Carapils® Malt

This was a great question though, I think there is alot of hazy understanding of this stuff. It seems that Golden Light would be fine for pale ales and darker, but if you are making a pilsner or light ale or alt maybe use the Pilsen.

Pretty much the same except for 2 deg. Lov, which is all I could glean form the web site, also.

I am pursuing a simple American Pale Ale recipe. I've brewed two batches:

6lbs Pils LME
1lb 65% wheat DME (Briess)
11 HBU Cascade
1.5 oz Cascade at flame-out.

Safale US05.

But this is a cloudy beer even with Isinglass for finings.

Yesterday, I re-brewed this with Wyeast 1271 American II, which is a more flocculant yeast. I also added whirlfloc.

Next time, I'll re-brew with Pale LME instead of Pils, for a side-by-side comparison, and then post here...

:jnj
- Mie
Asdel

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 am

I am far from a DME expert, but in our shop we make extract, partial mash and all grain kits. we use briess golden light in everything but pilsners, cream ales, and wheats. In those beers we use the Pilsen. We carry the briess wheat and the briess liquid munich and that's it as far as extract goes. It's worked out pretty well. we just had a guy bring in an extract version of our blonde the other day and it was pretty good. I'm always worried about those really light extract beers that don't have much in the way of hops or steeping grains. We've been impressed with the briess dry extracts, as well as that munch LME.
slanted & enchanted

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:52 am

I think Pils is using briess pils malt, and golden light is using their (english-style) pale ale malt.

I run a local homebrew festival here every year, and we always get a lot of beginner extract brewer participation. To keep the thing local, I always order everything through my LHBS. When they ran out of english extract for some of my orders, they recommended that I use the golden ligh as its substitute, as it was the closest briess made to english-style pale ale.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing