Weizendopplebock recipe called "Velvet Rape"

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 am

6lbs munich LME
6lbs wheat LME
8oz cara-aroma steeping grains

1oz perle
1oz hersbrucker

Primary 2 weeks, then transfer to conditioning carboy for 2 months, bottle condition for 2 weeks.

OG: 1.091
FG: 1.025
14 SRM
21 IBU
8.65% ABV

That's what I'm brewing this coming weekend. I'll let ya know how it turns out. Got a pretty f'ed up name, but my coworker says it's a great beer.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Re: Weizendopplebock recipe called "Velvet Rape"

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:42 pm

You may want to up the hops just a tad into the 30 IBU range. Right now you're around IBU/Gravity ratio of 21/91 = 0.23 which would be on the over the top, extreme side of maltiness. The ratio on the dopplebock in Brewing Classic Styles is around 0.30.
Quin

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm

That's probably pretty close to the IBUs in Aventinus.
JohnF

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Quin wrote:You may want to up the hops just a tad into the 30 IBU range. Right now you're around IBU/Gravity ratio of 21/91 = 0.23 which would be on the over the top, extreme side of maltiness. The ratio on the dopplebock in Brewing Classic Styles is around 0.30.

This is a weizendopplebock which should be maltier than a simple dopplebock from what I've read.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Weiz ... lbock.html

Pronunciation guide for English-speakers:
"veye-tssen-doppel-bock" (Do NOT pronounce it "wisen-doppel-bock"!)

Definition:
Just as the barley-based Doppelbock lager (see there) is a stronger and usually darker version of the Bockbier (see there), so is the Weizendoppelbock ale (literally "double wheat bock") a stronger and usually darker version of the Weizenbock. It is exceptionally malty, slightly toasty-tasting, with very little bitterness. Weizendoppelbocks tend to start at 7% alcohol by volume, but the strongest versions go as high as 9%. The beer has a very rich, malty finish. Because a Weizendoppelbock is both quite effervescent, almost spritzy, and full-bodied, it tends to develop a thick and sturdy, long-lasting creamy head as it is poured into the glass.

Perhaps the best known and most readily available of these is Aventinus (8.2% alcohol by volume) made by the Schneider brewery in Kelheim just a few miles to the east of Munich.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:50 am

Everyone's taste is different. I've brewed dopplebocks several times ( and I like dopplebocks, a lot). Mine is at 1.078 and 24 IBUs for a 0.31 ratio. If mine was any maltier, it would be undrinkable.
Quin

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing