Re: Steeping temperature

Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:41 am

Adam wrote:
Fugglupagus wrote:
Adam wrote:. . . . gas chromatograph mass spectrometer . . . .

That sounds sexy as hell. What does it do?

In layman terms, the gas chromatograph separates the chemical mixture of the sample into smaller groups of pure elements, sends them in pulses through an oven, then ionizes them and filters them. The mass spectrometer identifies the elements and the quantity of such, then displays them on the computer for interpretation. It's used a lot in forensic science where the lab is trying to identify an unknown substance or looking for a known substance. Say, a bomb investigation where they take a sample of the remnants of the destruction and try to identify what type of explosives were used in the bomb. With a water sample, we can test beyond the primary H2O molecule and pick out metal elements and other contaminants in the water.

At my job, we use it to test the waste water so we know how to treat it to make it legally compliant to release into the city water, since we utilize harsh chemicals such as sodium thiosulfate, ceric ammonium sulfate, sulfuric acid, muriatic acid, ammonium nitrate, nitric acid, formaldehyde, and other fun stuff. We have to add caustics and alkaline to get the pH of the water to a certain range as well as suspend certain molecules into solution and force others to drop out (such as copper which is very, very bad for human consumption) and recycled in a hazardous material center. The GCMS allows us to test what we are dealing with, then we can go from there and counteract what's happening to make the water safe to release to the general system for further water treatment at the plant. All in a day's work! :jnj

That is cool as hell. But I'm not smart enuf to make the leap from gas chromatography to steeping specialty grains. What can the tests tell you about making your beer?
I see drunk people . . . . . .
Fugglupagus

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:48 am

Cody wrote:So I think it's safe to assume that learning water chemistry isn't going to be a struggle for you. :lol:

I should be able to learn fairly quickly. I don't have a chemistry background, but I serve as the backup lab technician in the quality assurance lab and waste water lab if he's on vacation.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 am

Fugglupagus wrote:That is cool as hell. But I'm not smart enuf to make the leap from gas chromatography to steeping specialty grains. What can the tests tell you about making your beer?

Depending on what elements are in the water, I can make additives to either drop those out or suspend them for retention. The lab technician I backup is also a home brewer so he'll know the application. He has a degree in chemical engineering and organic chemistry from MI Tech University. We can figure out what would, if anything, benefit the quality of beer by altering the water makeup. That's what we aim to find out.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Because doing a kit like the brewers best (my favorites) we are still adding in LME to finish up. the LME has all the converted happy stuff we need for hot and cold break. That's the way I understand the working's of the kits for extract with steeping grain kits. oh ya if you don't know already the instructions say to do a 2.5 gallon boil for the hop utlization, so if you do like me and like to do a 4 gallon boil you may want to do some math and cut back on your hops a bit. Cheers man.
In keg-a-tor-a-anator

Ocotoberfest, Sour Code Brown for Big Brew Day, Smoke Porter

On Deck
American Pale Ale and Dry Stout
My Dad always said "never confuse bravery with stupidity."
lunitick1976

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing