Sierra Pale Ale clone in the bucket

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:52 am

For my second 5 gallon batch I went with a Sierra Nevada Pale clone recipe. Extract plus steeping grains. While I'm a bit more hopeful for this one as I've learned a bit more over the past couple months thanks to various forums and podcasts. However, I really need to get a 8 gal SS kettle. Used a couple smaller pots on the stovetop and after loosing some to evaporation during eh 60 minute boil, I ended up with only about 2-2.5 gal of wort. I had hoped to get more and only need to add a couple gallons of water (boiled and cooled the day before brew day).

Anyway, 1 lb of Crystal 40, 3 lb of light DME, 3.3 lb can of Coopers light LME, Magnum (60 min), Perle (30), and 3 oz of Cascade (15, 7, and flamout). Safale S-05 dry yeast pitched around 62°.

I steeped the Crystal, getting the water to 154°, turning off the (gas stove) burner, steeping bag in, cover. Left it on the burner but with the gas off for 30 min. Seemed to hold the temp pretty well. Turned the gas on once, about halfway thru the 30 just to get back up to around 153.

After pulling the nylon grain bag and letting it drip, I turned the gas back on, brought to a slow boil, removed from heat, and started adding the DME. Once it was in, I brought to a boil again and added the bittering hops (.625 oz of Magnum). 1 oz Perle at 30. 1 oz cascade at 15. I also added the LME around 15 min remaining (taking off the heat, stirring as I poured slowly). Didn't count the time off the boil when adding the LME as part of the 60.

Irish moss at 10 minutes. More cascade at 7 and flameout.

Took a while to cool down in the ice bath in the kitchen sink (a good half hour, if not 40 minutes).

Blowoff tube started bubbling about 10 hours later (last night) and as of now (32 hrs after going into the bucket) it's bubbling steadily. Got it around 62-63° and hoping to keep it from heating up much more than that until after the heavy activity is done (maybe 3 days?), when I'll move it to a slightly warmer area and hope for upper 60s temps.

The next purchase seems wisest to be a big SS pot (8 gal) and a basic wort chiller. My wife will appreciate me taking the brewing outside for sure, and I won't have to worry about having to boil all the water ahead of time to prep for the fermenter when doing partial boils.
• considering: first lager
• primary:
• secondary:
• drinking: JBA batch #2
• bottle conditioning: Best Bitter
• recent past: (AG) Rye IPA rebrew; rye saison; BCS Cal Common, Rye IPA, Tasty APA, JZ's Cowboy Altbier
jimlin

Re: Sierra Pale Ale clone in the bucket

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:35 am

I'd advise you to get a 10 gal brew kettle instead of an 8. If you start using pilsner malt and want to have a vigorous boil for 90 min with 6 gals left at flameout, you'll be starting with about 8 gals in the boil.
trouble brewin

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 am

trouble brewin wrote:I'd advise you to get a 10 gal brew kettle instead of an 8. If you start using pilsner malt and want to have a vigorous boil for 90 min with 6 gals left at flameout, you'll be starting with about 8 gals in the boil.

Thanks. I've seen some responses like this and have been on the fence about 8 gal being enough.
• primary:
• secondary:
• recent past: (AG) Rye IPA rebrew; rye saison; BCS Cal Common, Rye IPA, Tasty APA, JZ's Cowboy Altbier
jimlin

6 days in the bucket

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:22 pm

I moved the fermenting bucket from the cooler room after the heavy bubbling was done. Managed to keep things around 64 during the heavy activity, and it's been around 66 since I moved it. Now 6 days in, I pulled the cover, took a sample, took a hydro sample (1.014, OG was 1.050) and dropped in .5 oz of cascade pellets for a dry hop. Thinking I'll give it another week before bottling.

If the hyrdro readings level out, is there any advantage to leaving it in the fermenter for a third week, or should i just bottle after two and plan on a month carb/conditioning?
• primary:
• secondary:
jimlin

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:23 am

I don't think it would hurt. I read a lot about giving it an extra 3-5 days in the fermenter to clear up a bit before bottling. Give it some time to clean up some byproducts of fermentation is what they say.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

my first success!

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:14 pm

I can now say I successfully brewed... after several MrB "brews" and one 5 gal batch of amber (True Brew kit), I finally can say I successfully brewed something.. my Sierra Pale clone. 3 weeks in the bottle and I chilled and tested. Finally!!! No overly sweet taste (like my amber) and no tang, (like the MrB attempts). While I can't say it's a dead ringer for Sierra Pale, it's certainly tasty. A bit darker than a real Sierra (due to being extract?), it pours with a nice foamy head and the lacing on the glass is great. Not a ton of hop aroma, but it's got a little hop bitterness/bite, a little cascade flavor and a relatively dry finish that leaves me begging for another sip! Yaa-f'ing-hoooo! I would gladly share this beer with friends.

I've got a starter in the fridge (in my new 2000ml flask) for a hefe which I hope to brew this weekend, but after that, I think I'm going to try this Sierra clone again. The first time was a partial boil, but I now have a 9G SS pot and immersion chiller, so full boils it is from now on. Will need to adjust the hopping for full boil, but probably won't mess with the receipe much other than that. Extract with Crystal40 steeeping grains. Magnum @ 60, perle @30, Cascade @ 15, 7, and flameout. I used some cascade to dry hop as well, which I don't think SN does for their pale, but why mess with a good thing, it worked for the 1st attempt. So the only thing that will differ will be going to a full boil, and probably using White Labs Cal Ale (with a starter) vs the Fermentis Safale 05 dry yeast (which I pitched dry).

I am so freaking psyched! Success!!!
• primary:
• secondary:
jimlin

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Shit yeah! Keep em coming.
Congrats on your first baby! :pop
snowcapt

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:57 pm

:jnj

Congrats! It is a very addicting hobby, especially when things go great like that!
Fremont Brewer

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing