Re: Kit reomendations

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Yeah, clean and sanitize it good and you should be fine. As Jamil says, secondary isn't necessary, but if you are bottle conditioning it can act more like a bright tank than any sort of secondary fermentor. So while Jamil talks about not using secondary, he's kegging everything, where it has additional time to settle out. If you want to free up your larger primary for the next batch, go ahead and rack it over to a secondary and let it finish out and settle clear, then bottle.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks for the info dudes. I just ordered my equipment and the Bavarian Hefe extract kit. I will be brewing directly. Please keep the advice rolling in. I would like to have 2 beers bottled and ready for the memorial day competition. Can I get it done? I have the Patersbier, Irish Draught and Ak47 pale mild kits in my wish list as second brew contenders. What do you guys think?
o2bwest

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:15 pm

The Irish Draft from NB is pretty good. I think we had that gone within 10 days of brewing it. I kegged it, but that beer can be ready in a flash. I'd say you have plenty of time! Just get crackin', and be sure to be a good little sanitizer, and fermentation facilitator.
Goodluck, brotha aand keep us posted. :jnj
snowcapt

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm

snowcapt wrote:Id say it'll clean up just fine. As long as it isnt cracked or some shit. Give her a good long soak and scrub the bastard, rinse her out and see how it looks, should be fine. :jnj

Yeah just PBW the heck out of it. like 2 days with scrubbing it and then rinse well and soak in sani. Should clean up fine since glass doesn't absorb things like plastic you should be good.
Drawdy

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:25 pm

o2bwest wrote:Thanks for the info dudes. I just ordered my equipment and the Bavarian Hefe extract kit. I will be brewing directly. Please keep the advice rolling in. I would like to have 2 beers bottled and ready for the memorial day competition. Can I get it done? I have the Patersbier, Irish Draught and Ak47 pale mild kits in my wish list as second brew contenders. What do you guys think?

That AK47 seems badass the name is legit and it looks like a good beer. Have you seen this brewingTV video? They actually brew this beer at Northern Brewer in episode 27 http://www.brewingtv.com/episodes/?currentPage=2
Drawdy

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:18 pm

I am actually enjoying the AK47 currently. It taste very good. It has a light red color and an even balance of malt and hops flavor. As you stated earlier the longer they sit the better they taste. I got the AK47 and the English Pale Ale for Christmas from my wife. I am hoping that the English Pale Ale is not as "thin" as the AK47 but my wife loves the lighter brews so it is a great compromise. :drink
Happiness is a wife that supports your hobbies!

"Bread is the staff of life, but beer's life itself.."

- English Proverb

Kegged:Maple Porter
Kegged:Kolsch
On Deck: Cascade Pale Ale
On Deck: Blonde Ale
BruNut

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing